Chicken Burrito Bowls are so easy and delicious when you make them in the Slow Cooker. Perfect for Game Day or any day! Chicken, tomatoes, jalapeño pepper, chicken broth, chili powder, cumin, rice, black beans and corn. Let everyone choose their favorite toppings!
Slow Cooker Game Day Food
Are you planning anything for Game Day? Sure there will be plenty of appetizers and nibbles, but I like to serve something a bit more substantial. These Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowls are super easy to make in the slow cooker and everyone loves choosing their favorite toppings.
Hearty and filling with chicken, rice, corn and black beans. No one will leave your home hungry!
Ingredients in Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowls
- Chicken Thighs – boneless and skinless. Can use breasts, but it won’t be as moist.
- Canned Tomatoes.
- Jalapeño Pepper – recipe calls for one, you can adjust depending on how spicy you want it.
- Chicken Broth.
- Chili Powder.
- Salt – I use Kosher Salt.
- Brown Rice – can use white rice.
- Black Beans.
- Corn – Frozen is fine, thaw first.
- Toppings: sour cream, shredded cheese, avocados, cilantro, more peppers, salsa – whatever you want!
How to Make Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowls
This recipe is a little different than most slow cooker recipes in that you don’t just dump everything in the pot in the morning.
You begin by adding the chicken, tomatoes, jalapeño pepper, chicken broth (one cup,) chili powder, salt, and cumin. Cook on low for 3 to 4 hours.
Then you add the rice, black beans, corn and the rest of the chicken broth. Cook on low for 3-4 more hours. I cooked it for 4 hours with the brown rice, if you’re using white rice, you can check it after 3 hours.
Using two forks, reach into the slow cooker and shred the chicken – it will probably be falling apart on it’s own.
Serve with toppings.
These Burrito Bowls are So Good!
These chicken burrito bowls were so good! It’s so easy to fill up a bowl, choose your toppings and head back to the couch with a beer to watch the game! But this is so good, you’ll want to have it lots more often than just Game Day!
I found this recipe at The Kitchn a long time ago and have modified it a bit.
Other Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes you might like:
- Slow Cooker Chicken Soup with Beans
- Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Stout Stew
- Slow Cooker Chicken Vesuvio
Slow Cooker Chicken Chile Burrito Bowls
- 8 chicken thighs boneless, skinless
- 28 oz tomatoes canned
- 1 jalapeño pepper sliced
- 2 cups chicken broth divided
- 2 teaspoons chile powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 30 oz black beans canned, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- sour cream
- shredded cheese
- fresh cilantro
- Place chicken, tomatoes, jalapeño pepper, 1 cup of the chicken broth, the chile powder, salt and cumin in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- Remove the lid and add the rice, beans, corn and the second cup of chicken broth. Cover and cook for another 3-4 hours. (Mine needed 4 hours for the rice to become tender).
- Using forks shred the chicken (it will practically shred itself) and serve with the accompaniments of your choice.
- Serves 6-8
- Chicken Thighs - boneless and skinless. Can use breasts.
- Canned Tomatoes - don't drain.
- Jalapeño Pepper - recipe calls for one, you can adjust depending on how spicy you want it.
- Brown Rice - can use white rice.
- Corn - Frozen is fine, thaw first.
- Toppings: sour cream, shredded cheese, avocados, cilantro, more peppers, salsa - whatever you want!
This was originally published in 2015 and updated for 2019.