This Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Soup is a kid-friendly crockpot recipe that adults will love too. It's an easy chicken soup, even the pasta cooks in the slow cooker!
I have a confession, most of the soups that I make in the slow cooker are a bit broth heavy. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I love a good soup broth.
Sometimes I eat all the solids of the soup, just so I can savor the broth all by itself.
However, this Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Soup that I found at Food52 might just change my mind. In their description, they talk about how this soup has all the flavor of a decadent chicken parmesan served over pasta, but it's much more waist friendly.
- Green bell pepper - I've also used red or orange.
- Canned crushed tomatoes - if you only have diced, you can give them a quick whirl in the food processor or blender. You can also use diced and the results are bigger chunks of tomatoes.
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts - I've also used thighs.
- Chicken broth - homemade if possible!
- White or yellow onion.
- Fresh basil and fresh oregano - can use dry.
- Parmesan cheese - fresh grated for best flavor.
- Red pepper flakes - to give it a bit of kick.
- Dried gemelli or penne pasta - I usually use whatever I have, but try to keep the shape similar.
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts simmer away in chicken broth with tomatoes, green bell pepper, garlic, onions, and herbs.
Later, you simply remove the chicken and shred it, returning it to the slow cooker.
Then add the pasta and cook on high for about 30 minutes. All easy, peasy.
I had no idea that you could cook pasta in the slow cooker!
I remember all the old recipes would have you cook the pasta separately and stir it in at the end. True, you wouldn't want your pasta in there for the full 7-8 hours, but adding it at the end like this, letting it cook in the flavorful broth is perfect!
I'm going to go on record here stating that this Crockpot Chicken Parmesan Soup is definitely in my top 5 slow cooker recipes.
It is so rich and creamy. A little heat from the red pepper flakes and some nuttiness from the Parmesan cheese. Perfect.
More slow cooker chicken recipes.
**As an Amazon affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Soup
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 14 ½ ounces crushed tomatoes
- ½ pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup chopped white onion
- ⅓ cup shredded Parmesan cheese plus extra for garnish
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes (I used ½ teaspoon)
- 4 ounces uncooked dry gemelli or penne pasta
- Chopped fresh basil or parsley for garnish
- Place the garlic, bell pepper, tomatoes, chicken, chicken broth, onion, cheese, basil, oregano and red pepper flakes in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- Remove the chicken breasts and shred with two forks. Return the chicken to the slow cooker and stir in the pasta. Turn the heat to high and cook for 30 more minutes or until the pasta is cooked to your liking.
- Serve garnished with some additional Parmesan cheese and fresh basil or parsley.
This was originally published in 2016 and has been updated for 2023.
Absolutely delicious! This is a hearty, tasty soup that is easy to put together. I made it a few weeks ago. I'm glad I made a double batch. We both had seconds at dinner and I froze the leftovers. It was just as good from the freezer. I'll be making this often!
Pam Greer says
So glad you liked it!! It's one of my favorites!
Oh my - I eat my soup the other way around. The broth first and then the solids. I love soups made in the slow cooker and will be giving this a try.
Love this slow cooker chicken parmesan soup, Thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop, tweeting and pinning
Sounds yummy! Thanks for linking up with Merry Monday!
Deb in Hawaii says
If it made your Top 5, it must be good! Looks like true comfort food. I went ahead and linked you up at Souper Sundays since I saw it noted on your list of links. 😉 Thanks for sharing!
Elizabeth @ Guilty Chocoholic Mama says
This looks like comfort in a pot! I LOVE that the chicken doesn't have to have 27 things done to it before it ever sees the pot! 😉 Thanks for sharing...stopping by from Wonderful Wednesday! P.S. Love that Pavarotti quote...one of my favorites about food and eating!
Morgan @ Morgan Manages Mommyhood says
This sounds absolutely amazing -I can't wait to try it! Chicken parm is one of my favorite foods.
Caren Gittleman says
Thanks for sharing it sounds delicious!!!!!
Looks delicious. We had a cold weekend here, and soup is perfect for that kind of weather.
Olivia @ livforcake says
This sounds delicious! And your photos are stunning.
Natasha Mairs says
oh this looks really nice and one that I think the kids would enjoy too
I am making this one, good recipe that u can use the slow cooker. Happy you posted it!