This Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Soup is a kid friendly crockpot recipe that the adults will love too. It’s an easy Slow Cooker chicken soup, even the pasta cooks in the slow cooker!
Post may contain affiliate links.
A Lighter Version of Chicken Parmesan
I have a confession, most of my soups that I make in the slow cooker are a bit broth heavy. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I love a good soup broth. Sometimes I eat all the solids of the soup, just so I can savor the broth all by itself. However this Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Soup that I found at Food52 might just change my mind. In their description they talk about how this soup has all the flavor of a decadent chicken parmesan served over pasta, but that it’s much more waist friendly.
Easy Pasta Cooking Right in the Slow Cooker
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts simmer away in chicken broth with tomatoes, green bell pepper, garlic, onions and herbs. Later, you simply remove the chicken and shred it, return it to the slow cooker. Then you add the pasta and cook on high for about 30 minutes. All easy, peasy. I had no idea that you could cook pasta in the slow cooker. I remember all the old recipes would have you cook the pasta separately and then stir it in at the end. True, you wouldn’t want your pasta in their for the full 7-8 hours, but adding it at the end like this, letting it cook in the flavorful broth is perfect!
Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Soup – Top 5 Slow Cooker Recipes
I’m going to go on record here stating that this Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Soup is definitely in my top 5 slow cooker recipes. It is so rich and creamy. A little bit of heat from the red pepper flakes and some nuttiness from the Parmesan cheese. Perfect.
Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Soup
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 14 1/2 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese plus extra for garnish
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (I used 1/2 teaspoon)
- 4 ounces uncooked dry gemelli or penne pasta
- Chopped fresh basil or parsley for garnish
- Place the garlic, bell pepper, tomatoes, chicken, chicken broth, onion, cheese, basil, oregano and red pepper flakes in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- Remove the chicken breasts and shred with two forks. Return the chicken to the slow cooker and stir in the pasta. Turn the heat to high and cook for 30 more minutes or until the pasta is cooked to your liking.
- Serve garnished with some additional Parmesan cheese and fresh basil or parsley.
Other Slow Cooker Recipes you might like: