This Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Soup is a kid-friendly crockpot recipe that adults will love too. It's an easy chicken soup, even the pasta cooks in the slow cooker!
I have a confession, most of the soups that I make in the slow cooker are a bit broth heavy. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I love a good soup broth.
Sometimes I eat all the solids of the soup, just so I can savor the broth all by itself.
However, this Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Soup that I found at Food52 might just change my mind. In their description, they talk about how this soup has all the flavor of a decadent chicken parmesan served over pasta, but it's much more waist friendly.
- Green bell pepper - I've also used red or orange.
- Canned crushed tomatoes - if you only have diced, you can give them a quick whirl in the food processor or blender. You can also use diced and the results are bigger chunks of tomatoes.
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts - I've also used thighs.
- Chicken broth - homemade if possible!
- White or yellow onion.
- Fresh basil and fresh oregano - can use dry.
- Parmesan cheese - fresh grated for best flavor.
- Red pepper flakes - to give it a bit of kick.
- Dried gemelli or penne pasta - I usually use whatever I have, but try to keep the shape similar.
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts simmer away in chicken broth with tomatoes, green bell pepper, garlic, onions, and herbs.
Later, you simply remove the chicken and shred it, returning it to the slow cooker.
Then add the pasta and cook on high for about 30 minutes. All easy, peasy.
I had no idea that you could cook pasta in the slow cooker!
I remember all the old recipes would have you cook the pasta separately and stir it in at the end. True, you wouldn't want your pasta in there for the full 7-8 hours, but adding it at the end like this, letting it cook in the flavorful broth is perfect!
I'm going to go on record here stating that this Crockpot Chicken Parmesan Soup is definitely in my top 5 slow cooker recipes.
It is so rich and creamy. A little heat from the red pepper flakes and some nuttiness from the Parmesan cheese. Perfect.
More slow cooker chicken recipes.
**As an Amazon affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Soup
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 14 ½ ounces crushed tomatoes
- ½ pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup chopped white onion
- ⅓ cup shredded Parmesan cheese plus extra for garnish
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes (I used ½ teaspoon)
- 4 ounces uncooked dry gemelli or penne pasta
- Chopped fresh basil or parsley for garnish
- Place the garlic, bell pepper, tomatoes, chicken, chicken broth, onion, cheese, basil, oregano and red pepper flakes in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- Remove the chicken breasts and shred with two forks. Return the chicken to the slow cooker and stir in the pasta. Turn the heat to high and cook for 30 more minutes or until the pasta is cooked to your liking.
- Serve garnished with some additional Parmesan cheese and fresh basil or parsley.
This was originally published in 2016 and has been updated for 2023.