This Slow Cooker Chicken Vesuvio is hearty, comfort food at it’s finest. Juicy tender chicken, perfectly cooked potatoes and peas all in a rich, flavorful sauce! Don’t be surprised if people lift up their bowls to get every drop of the delicious white wine and garlic sauce!
What is Chicken Vesuvio
Chicken Vesuvio is an Italian American dish that actually originated in Chicago. It is basically chicken and potatoes cooked with white wine, oregano, garlic and olive oil. All the good stuff!
This version is actually a riff on a Giada recipe that I’ve been making for years. She adds artichoke hearts to hers, I add peas because I can usually find them easier. I also cook mine in the slow cooker where all that garlic and oregano can infuse the chicken and potatoes all day long!
Ingredients to make Slow Cooker Chicken Vesuvio
- Peas – I use frozen peas. If you can find frozen artichoke hearts, you can use them. Optional!
- Thyme and Oregano – dried works best for all day long cooking.
- Potatoes – I like red potatoes for this dish, they come out nice and creamy.
- Chicken broth – use Homemade Chicken Broth if you have it!
- White Wine – use a wine that you would drink, not a cooking wine in the small bottles found in the condiment aisle at the grocery store.
- Olive Oil.
- Chicken Thighs – you want to use bone in thighs. I leave the skin on, but you can remove the skin if you like.
How to Make Crock Pot Chicken Vesuvio
Step One – Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over medium high heat. Generously season the chicken with salt and pepper and brown it on both sides. This takes about 5-10 minutes per side, you really want it nice and golden. The chicken will release from the pan when it has a nice sear. You will need to do this in batches to keep from crowding the chicken. (This isn’t pictured because it’s kind of messy and I didn’t want my camera by the hot grease.
Step Two – While the chicken is browning, place the cubed potatoes in the bottom of the slow cooker. You want them about 1/2 inch to 1 inch cubes. Sprinkle the thyme, oregano, salt and pepper over the potatoes.
Step Three – as the chicken browns, remove it from the skillet and place it on top of the potatoes in the slow cooker.
Step Four – deglaze the pan by adding the white wine to it. Use a wooden spoon to scrape off all the browned bits. Add the chicken broth, the onions, and the garlic and cook for two to three minutes, continuing to scrape all the good stuff off of the bottom of the pan.
Step Four – Pour the onion garlic mixture over the chicken. Cook on low heat for 6-8 hours.
Step Five – About an hour before serving, stir in the peas.
Step Six – right before serving you can stir in an optional tablespoon of butter. This time I forgot to and it wasn’t quite as rich as it usually is. This is optional, but really does add a finishing touch of richness.
Easy One Pan Meal!
This is an easy and delicious one pan meal, especially if you use the optional peas. I served it with a salad, but it was so filling, I only ate one of the thighs and had my second thigh for lunch the next day. Mr. Sidewalk Shoes kept commenting on how good it was. It’s pure comfort food!
More Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes
This Slow Cooker Chicken and Stout Stew is another favorite one pan meal!
Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowls are a favorite with kids and adults!
No need for take out when you can make you own Chicken Pho!
Another favorite of kids and adults is this Chicken Soup with Pasta and Parmesan.
For even, follow my Crock Pot and Slow Cooker Recipes Board on Pinterest.
Slow Cooker Chicken Vesuvio
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 chicken thighs on the bone skin on
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes cubed
- 1 onion diced
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon butter optional, but oh so good
- parsley for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a deep sided skillet over medium high heat. Generously season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Brown the chicken thighs for about 5 minutes on each side until a nice golden brown. You'll know when they are ready to turn when they give away from the pan. You may need to do this in batches.
- While they are browning, add the potatoes , oregano and thyme to the slow cooker - sprinkle again with some salt and pepper. Top with the chicken as it finishes browning.
- When all of the chicken is browned, add the white wine to the skillet and scrape to get all the brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Add the chicken broth, the garlic and the onion and cook for a couple of minutes, continuing the scrape the bottom of the pan. Remove from heat and pour this mixture over the chicken and potatoes in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours. About an hour before serving, add the frozen green peas.
- Right before serving, stir in the butter to add a little richness. Serve with fresh parsley sprinkled on top.