This Slow Cooker Chicken Vesuvio is hearty, comfort food at it’s finest. I took a Chicken Vesuvio Recipe and converted it to an easy slow cooker or crockpot dinner!
Post may contain affiliate links.
Slow Cooker Chicken Vesuvio
In my quest to cook other things from my slow cooker or crock-pot, I have discovered a new found love for it. Before I had relegated to being used only for soups and an occasional spaghetti sauce, but now I am exploring other options and it is working! I use my slow cooker ever Sunday during the winter. The reason? Because we do our wine tasting (and by wine tasting – I mean we drink the bottle of wine – the whole bottle of wine) on Sunday afternoons around 4. Needless to say, when it comes time to start cooking dinner around five-ish, I am in no mood to start chopping, slicing, and dicing with a large sharp knife.
Giada’s Chicken Vesuvio Recipe for the Slow Cooker!
Chicken Vesuvio is one of my favorite recipes that I found in Giada’s Family Dinners – and I was in the mood for it’s rustic chicken and potato goodness. Since it was a Sunday, I modified it to cook in my slow cooker. The other change I made was to sub peas for the artichoke hearts that she calls for, simply because I had them in my fridge. If you look closely at the photo, you will be hard pressed to find any peas. That’s because I like my peas barely cooked, so I toss them in frozen during the last hour, however see paragraph one to remind yourself of what I was doing that last hour. Yep. The wine won. I was apparently enjoying my vino a little too much to remember to toss in the peas. But please include them, their nice fresh greenness is the perfect addition to this dish! The other thing is I prefer to make this dish with bone-in, skin on thighs, and even though my freezer inventory list said I had some, I didn’t. So, I used boneless, skinless thighs instead.
Slow Cooker Chicken Vesuvio
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 chicken thighs on the bone skin on
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes cubed
- 1 onion diced
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon butter optional, but oh so good
- parsley for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a deep sided skillet over medium high heat. Generously season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Brown the chicken thighs for about 5 minutes on each side until a nice golden brown. You'll know when they are ready to turn when they give away from the pan. You may need to do this in batches.
- While they are browning, add the potatoes , oregano and thyme to the slow cooker - sprinkle again with some salt and pepper. Top with the chicken as it finishes browning.
- When all of the chicken is browned, add the white wine to the skillet and scrape to get all the brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Add the chicken broth, the garlic and the onion and cook for a couple of minutes, continuing the scrape the bottom of the pan. Remove from heat and pour this mixture over the chicken and potatoes in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours. About an hour before serving, add the frozen green peas.
- Right before serving, stir in the butter to add a little richness. Serve with fresh parsley sprinkled on top.
Other slow cooker dishes you might like: