This Slow Cooker Pho with Chicken is so delicious and so easy in the slow cooker! Post may contain affiliate links.
Over on my lifestyle blog, Grey is the New Black, I reviewed King Noodle House. I am a huge fan of big bowls of noodles. I love them. I could eat them every day if I had the option. I especially love how easy they are to prepare in the slow cooker!
The basics for any good bowl of noodles is the broth. This is why the slow cooker shines. You can simmer a flavorful broth all day long! This recipe, which I found in Not Your Mother’s Slow Cooker Recipes for Entertaining has a few extra steps to make the broth even more flavorful.
Before placing the spices in the cheesecloth, you toast them first. Warning…your house will smell fantastic. You also broil the onion and ginger before adding. All of these extra touches take a small amount of time, but I think they add so much to final dish.
This was wonderful. Every bit as good as I hoped it would be!
- 3 bone-in chicken breast halves, skin removed
- 2 bunches green onions, reserve green parts for garnish
- 6 cloves garlic, unpeeled and smashed with a knife
- 1/2 bunch cilantro sprigs (about 1 cup)
- 4 1/2 quarts chicken broth (I used only 3 quarts)
- 2 small yellow onions, unpeeled and halved
- three 1 to 2 inch pieces of unpeeled ginger
- 3 tablespoons Vietnamese fish sauce
- 3 whole star anise pods
- 6 wole cloves
- one 2-inch cinnamon stick broke in half
- pinch of whole fennel seed, lightly crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 18 ounces 1/4 inch wide rice noodles, soaked in cold water for 20 minutes
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup fresh Italian parsely, coarsely chopped
- 3 handfuls fresh mung bean sprouts
- 6 tablespoons shredded basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced jalapeno peppers
- tops of green onions
- 3 limes, cut into 6 wedges
- hoisin sauce
- sriracha sauce
- chili garlic paste
- Place the chicken, the white parts of the green onions, garlic and cilantro stems in slow cooker. Fill the slow cooker 3/4 full with the chicken stock. Cover and set on high.
- Place the onion and ginger on a baking sheet and broil for about 8-10 minutes, turning, until lightly charred. Add to the slow cooker along with the fish sauce. Place the star anise, cloves and cinnamon sticks in a small dry skillet. Toast over medium heat, shaking them, for about 3-4 minutes. Place in a square of cheesecloth along with the fennel seeds and bay leaf. Tie with kitchen twine and add to slow cooker. Cover and cook for 4 1/2 to 5 hours.
- Life the chicken from the slow cooker with a slotted spoon. Strain the broth through a double layer of cheesecloth into a large heatproof bowl. Discard all of the solids and return the broth to the slow cooker and turn to low.
- Cook the rice noodles per directions and rinse in cold water.
- Shred the chicken and return it to the slow cooker. Divide the noodles among the individual bowls, ladle the hot broth and chicken over the top. Serve immediately with garnishes on the side.