The Classic Potato Leek Soup is so easy when down in the slow cooker! This soup goes one step further with some bacon croutons that totally take it over the top!
As a former school teacher as soon as August rolls around, I am in immediate fall mode. Bring on the pumpkin, the butternut squash, the Halloween candy.
I know, I'm a bit early.
So, I ease into fall with one of my favorite soups an easy potato soup recipe. Though I make this soup year round, I mostly give it a break in the summer and then it's one of the first ones I make as I start feeling the pull towards autumn.
It's a fall and winter soup that doesn't feel particularly fall or winter, but it's pure comfort food. It's also so crazy easy.
Ingredients to Make Slow Cooker Potato Leek Soup
This soup is so easy to make. I usually make it with however many potatoes and leeks that I have. If I want the soup to serve four, I kind of judge how many potatoes will feed four people. If I want a bunch with leftovers, I use a bunch of potatoes and leeks. You can't mess this recipe up!
Leeks - I usually use anywhere from 4-6 leeks. The store this week only had 2 good looking leeks, but they were really big, so they were about the equivalent of 4 leeks.
Cream - I use a heavy cream, if you want your soup lighter you can use half and half or milk.
Potatoes - I usually use red potatoes, but the store only had russets this time.
Sage - optional, but I like to use fresh sage. You can substitute parsley, thyme, oregano or rosemary.
Chicken Stock - sometimes I use beef stock, either one will work.
How to Make Easy Potato Soup
This soup is so easy to make. Honestly the hardest part is cleaning the leeks.
- Prepare the leeks - Cut off the dark green parts of the leeks and the roots. Cut them in half lengthwise and submerge them in cold water and swish them around to get any grit out from between the layers. You might have to open the layers up a bit to make sure they are clean. Then thinly slice them and add them to the slow cooker.
- Prepare the potatoes - scrub the potatoes and then peel and dice them. I usually do about a 3/4 inch to an inch dice. Something that fits easily on your spoon. Add them to the slow cooker.
- Finely mince your fresh herb - in this case - sage. You want about a tablespoon to a tablespoon and a half. Add the minced sage to the crockpot.
- Pour in the chicken stock - I used my Homemade Instant Pot Chicken Stock.
- Generously salt and pepper.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- About an hour before serving, stir in the cream.
To Make the Bacon Croutons
All I did was right before it was time to serve the soup, I diced some bacon and fried it up in my grandmother's cast iron skillet. Then removed the bacon with a slotted spoon, added a couple of cups of cubed bread and tossed it in the hot bacon grease until crisp. It was the perfect addition to the humble potato leek soup!
If your bacon released a lot of fat, you might want to drain off some of the fat before toasting the bread.
This is so good and so easy! You will definitely want to add this potato leek soup with bacon to your menu rotation! It is pure comfort food!
If you want it a little creamier, you can use an immersion blender to puree some of the potatoes. Sometimes I do that I sometimes I don't, it's great either way!
More Easy Soup Recipes:
French Vegetable Soup with Pesto - this all vegetable soup is a family favorite, especially topped with a flavorful pesto.
Slow Cooker Chicken Udon Noodle Soup - Use the slow cooker to make this delicious soup.
Mexican Chicken Noodle Soup - chicken noodle soup with a Mexican twist!
The Best Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup - classic chicken noodle soup made extra easy in the Instant Pot.
If you're looking for even more soup recipes, be sure and follow my Soup Recipes Board on Pinterest!
Slow Cooker Potato Leek Soup with Bacon Croutons
- 6 leeks trimmed and chopped (white and light green part only)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sage finely chopped, optional
- 6 potatoes peeled and diced
- 8 slices bacon
- 8 cups chicken stock or beef stock
- 1 cup cream
- 4 cups bread diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add leeks, potatoes, stock, and sage to slow cooker, and season with salt and pepper. Cook on low 6-8 hours. About an hour before serving stir in cream, and taste to adjust seasonings.
- About 30 minutes before serving, saute diced bacon in a frying pan over medium-high heat. When bacon is crisped to your liking, remove with a slotted spoon and let drain on a paper towel lined plate. Add bread cubes to pan and stir until evenly browned. Remove from heat.
- When ready to serve, you can puree a bit of the soup with an immersion blender. (I like to keep some chunks of potato.) Top each serving of soup with some of the bacon and some of the bread cubes.
This post was originally published in 2015 and has been updated for 2019.