A good for you taco, filled with vegetables, grilled chicken and a tasty chipotle cream sauce!
Now that I am retired from teaching (Yay for more time!!!), I plan on participating in a lot more food events. So, if you have a food event that think I would like, just shoot me an email and I’ll get right on it! Oops, just realized I have no contact info on my new and improved blog! Well, hopefully by the time you are reading this it will be added! But, on event that I love to participate in is the Mystery Ingredient Club from the lovely Michael Lee West at Rattlebridge Farm. This week’s mystery ingredient is chipotle! You know, those hot little peppers that come in a can. You know how most recipes usually call for one or two of them and then you’re left with a can of peppers that you might not use again for several weeks. I did a blog post on how I keep them: What to do with Chipotle Peppers. I basically keep them in little wax paper packets in my freezer, and I have them ready to go at a moments notice. For this recipe I turned to my tried and true, probably most all time favorite cookbook: The Bon Appetit Cookbook: Fast Easy Fresh I share a love for this cookbook with Joanne from Eats Well With Others. As usual this book did not disappoint! This was an unusual taco, in that it was filled with good for you veggies like zucchini and red bell peppers. It was so fresh and light and the chipotle cream really made the difference. You could use the cream on all sorts of things…hmmm must try it on a baked potato!
Spice-Rubbed Chicken and Vegetable Tacos with Chipotle Cream
- 1 tablespoon canned chipotle chiles chopped
- 2 tablespoons golden brown sugar packed
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 1/4 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
- 2 zucchini quartered lengthwise
- 1 red bell pepper seeded, cut lengthwise into 3/4-inch-thick strips
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 pound skinless boneless chicken breast halves each halved horizontally
- 12 corn tortillas warmed
- Prepare grill with medium heat.
- Whisk the sour cream and the chipotle chilies in a small bowl and season with salt.
- Whisk the brown sugar and the next 4 ingredients in another small bowl for the spice rub.
- Place the zucchini and bell pepper on a rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with the canola oil and toss to coat. Sprinkle the spice rub on both sides of the chicken and vegetables.
- Grill the chicken and vegetables for about 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are crisp tender and browned in spots. Remove from the grill and place on a cutting board. Cut the chicken crosswise into 1/2 inch thick strips and cut the vegetables crosswise into 3/4 inch pieces. Place the chicken and the vegetables in a large bowl and toss to blend.
- Place the chicken and veggies, tortillas and sour cream on the table and allow guests to assemble their own soft tacos.
Disclaimer: Amazon links are affiliate links and I earn a small percentage if you click through and buy. Believe me, it barely covers a smidgen of my cookbook addiction!
I’m adding code below for the group link for The Mystery Ingredient Club – if you see it – Yay!! If not, just head over to Rattlebridge Farms and see all my fellow participants!