I am all about the slaw for fish tacos and these grilled fish tacos are topped with a delicious cabbage and fennel slaw. These Spicy Fish Tacos with Fennel Slaw will become an easy weeknight dinner favorite!
Lots of Cabbage and Fennel Slaw!
I realized that I have all but covered up this fish entirely in these spicy fish tacos with fennel slaw, but don’t worry, it’s under there.
I just so happen to like a lot of topping on my tacos, especially when it is so bright and fresh as this cabbage and fennel slaw.
Fish Tacos are so Easy!!
I was looking for something easy to do with my mahi mahi. Tacos are always easy. You can prep the toppings ahead of time and just worry about your fish or meat when it gets close to dinner time.
I found this recipe in an old Oct/Nov 2010 issue of Donna Hay – which just goes to show how timeless recipes are.
This recipe was everything I hoped it would be. It was light, yet filling. All of that cabbage and fennel can really fill you up! I love the bright flavors of the fennel and it paired perfectly with the cabbage.
I changed two things on the recipe, but I’m going to post the recipe as it was written, so that you can decide if you want to change it or not. I didn’t grill or use a char-grill pan for the fish.
I didn’t feel like dirtying a pan, so I broiled the fish on a foil lined baking sheet for 8-10 minutes. It didn’t give it the pretty grill marks, but it still tasted delicious.
Also, I wasn’t in the mood for a mayo type slaw, so I omitted the mayo and made a vinaigrette out of equal parts olive oil and lemon juice.
More Taco Recipes
Bratwurst and Peppers – I know! You don’t think of bratwurst for tacos, but believe me, it’s delicious!
Chicken and Chorizo – one of the most popular tacos on the blog and with good reason!
Shredded Pork Tacos – the pumpkin slaw is amazing!
**As an Amazon affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Spicy Fish Tacos with Fennel Slaw
- 4 firm white fish filets I used Tilapia
- olive oil for brushing
- sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried chili flakes
- 4 flour tortillas
- 1/2 pound red cabbage thinly shredded
- 3 green onions thinly sliced
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 fennel bulb small, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup mayonaisse
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- lime wedges for serving
- Make the fennel slaw by combining cabbage, onions, cilantro, fennel, mayo and lemon juice in a medium bowl.
- Heat a char-grill pan or a grill over high heat. Brush the fish with olive oil and season with salt, pepper and chili flakes. Grill for 2-3 minutes per side or until cooked through. Place the tortillas on the grill and turning once until they puff and char a bit, about 1 minute.
- Place the fish on the tortillas and top with the slaw. Serve with lime wedges.