This Easy 4 Ingredient Strawberry Buttermilk Gelato tastes like summer in a bowl. It is bursting with strawberry flavor and the buttermilk gives it the creaminess of ice cream with fewer calories! Frozen strawberry desserts are the best!
Why Use Buttermilk?
Did you watch anyone eat cornbread in a bowl of buttermilk? I did and thought it looked like the most disgusting thing ever! I still don't think it sounds good, however I have discovered that buttermilk has some amazing uses.
By using buttermilk in this frozen strawberry dessert instead of milk, you save calories as well as get the benefits of it being fermented. It makes this gelato so rich and creamy and gives it almost a cheesecake like flavor - amazing!
Another great use for buttermilk is tenderizing and flavoring, like this Oven Braised Buttermilk Chicken. That gorgeous color on the chicken comes from the buttermilk and the flavor is out of this world.
I still could never eat buttermilk with cornbread (shudder) but I will definitely sing it's praises in frozen desserts and marinades!
How to Make this Strawberry Gelato
- Make a simple syrup by heating equal parts water and sugar in a small saucepan, stirring until the sugar dissolves. If you make any of my cocktails regularly, you probably already have some in your fridge! Allow the simple syrup to cool completely.
- Place simple syrup, buttermilk and strawberries into your favorite blender. Process until smooth.
- Pour the ingredients into your favorite ice cream maker and freeze according to the instructions.
- When the mixture is frozen, scoop into a container and store in the freezer.
If you want it less sweet, use less sugar in the simple syrup, but keep the same amount of water.
Add some mini chocolate chips when the gelato is almost ready to come out of the ice cream maker to make a chocolate chip strawberry gelato!
The Best Strawberry Gelato!
How easy was that! What's even better besides this being so easy, is that it is so delicious! It's rich and creamy with loads of strawberry flavor! Just look at that gorgeous pink color!
No one will ever guess that this is made with buttermilk. They'll think it's made from cream and egg yolks! Only you know that it has less calories and gives you a good probiotic boost!
Looking for Strawberry Frozen Dessert Recipes
If you want even more strawberry recipes, be sure and follow my Strawberry Recipes Pinterest Board.
Strawberry Buttermilk Gelato
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 cups strawberries hulled and quartered
- 1 cup low fat buttermilk
- Combine water and sugar in a saucepan and heat until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and cool completely.
- Place strawberries, water mixture and buttermilk into a blender and process until smooth.
- Pour into an ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer's instructions.