This Slow Cooker Thai Chicken Curry Soup is the perfect comfort food! Loaded with chicken and vegetables and the perfect amount of spice from the curry paste and topped with peanuts and cilantro and a squeeze of fresh lime!
Slow Cooker Thai Chicken Curry
It’s starting to get a little cool around here and I am celebrating with one of my favorite soups – a Thai Chicken Curry! It’s already a fairly easy soup to make, but it’s made even easier in the slow cooker!
The secret to making this soup even more delicious is that you add some of the ingredients right towards the end. The coconut milk, bell pepper, mushrooms, curry paste and cilantro are added during the last 5-10 minutes of cooking.
Ingredients to Make Thai Chicken Soup:
(These ingredients are to make the first part of the soup.)
- Chicken – I use bone in thighs or legs. Bone in gives the broth so much more richness.
- Ginger – fresh. I store mine in the fridge and then just grate it using a microplane zester.
- Red Pepper Flakes.
- Lemongrass – I buy it at the Asian market and store it in the freezer!
- Chicken Broth – I used my easy Instant Pot Chicken Broth.
- Straw Mushrooms – can use regular canned mushrooms if you can’t find straw.
- Thai Curry Paste – you can use red, green, or yellow. I used Mae Ploy Green.
- Red Bell Pepper.
- Coconut Milk.
How to Make Easy Slow cooker Chicken Curry
Combine the chicken, broth, carrots, onion, ginger, garlic, lemongrass and red pepper flakes in the slow cooker. Cook on low heat for 6-7 hours. No need to brown the chicken first!
About a half hour before you want to eat, remove the chicken and set it aside until it is cool enough to handle. Remove the skin and bones and shred the chicken meat and add it back to the slow cooker.
Stir in the coconut milk, bell pepper, mushrooms, curry paste and cilantro. Cover and let it cook for about 10 minutes. Discard the lemongrass.
Ladle the soup into bowls and top with the roasted peanuts. Serve with fresh lime wedges.
This spicy Thai chicken soup is so good! It gets so much flavor from simmering all day. Your house will smell amazing! You can control the amount of spice by how much curry paste you use. I usually use about 1 tablespoon, if you like things spicier, you can try a little more!
More Slow Cooker Soup Recipes
These Curried Noodles are another favorite easy curried slow cooker recipe! It also uses coconut milk and the noodles cook right in the crockpot!
If you make this soup, I’d love it if you left a rating and be sure and tag me on social media!
Slow Cooker Thai Chicken Curry
- 6 chicken thighs bone in, skin on or off
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 8 carrots sliced diagonally
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 inches ginger root grated
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 stalks lemongrass white part, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 15 ounces coconut milk unsweetened
- 1 bell pepper red or yellow
- 8 ounces straw mushrooms canned, drained (or button)
- 1 tbsp Thai curry paste or more, can use red, yellow or green
- 1 lime cut into wedges for serving
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/3 cup roasted peanuts
- Place the chicken, broth, carrots, onions, ginger, garlic, and lemongrass in the slow cooker. Cover and set to low for 6-7 hours.
- Remove the chicken and set aside. When cool enough to handle, remove from the bones, shred and return to the slow cooker.
- About 15 minutes before serving, stir in the coconut milk, bell pepper, mushrooms, curry paste and cilantro. Cover and let cook for about 15 minutes.
- Serve in bowls topped with roasted peanuts and a lime wedge.
This was originally published in 2009 and has been updated for 2019.