Thai Mango Grain Salad
How do you grocery shop? Are you a stick-to-the-list person? More of a walk-slowly-up-and-down the aisles type person? Is your cart filled with everything that grabs your fancy? I am a stick to the list person. I make my list on my favorite phone app Grocery iQ . I love this app because not only does it let me make a list, and check things off, it also allows me to rearrange the aisles in the list. So, as I walk into the store, the first things on my list are in the produce dept because that’s the aisle I moved to the beginning. Next is frozen foods and so on. It takes a few minutes at the beginning to get those aisles arranged, but after that, it makes grocery shopping so easy!
So, as I was saying, I am a list person. I rarely deviate from my list. One of the few exceptions is if a favorite fruit or veggie just happens to be on sale, as was the case last week. Mangoes. I will deviate from my list for some perfectly ripe, organic mangoes, which Earth Fare had on sale. So, I brought these home, along with $5.00 rotisserie chicken and plotted what to make for dinner.
I was planning on having part of the rotisserie chicken for dinner, so I needed to use the mangoes either for dessert or a side dish. Not feeling particularly desserty – I settled on a side dish. This salad was basically created from what I already had in my pantry and fridge and my lovely mangoes. It is bright and refreshing with the Thai flavors shining through.
I used a multi-grain rice mix that I had in the pantry, but you can use any kind of your favorite cooked grain. I think farro would be perfect in this, but then again, I think farro would be perfect in everything!
Thai Mango Grain Salad
- 3 cups cooked grains room temperature
- 1 mango peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds toasted
- 3 cups baby spinach or whatever lettuce you prefer
- 2 red chili peppers sliced (seeded if you prefer it less hot)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Place the grains, mango, almonds, baby spinach, chili peppers in a bowl. Using a jar with a lid, make the salad dressing by combining the fish sauce, lime juice and sugar. Shake until the sugar has dissolved and pour over the salad ingredients in the bowl. Toss gently to combine. Taste and add salt and pepper as necessary.
- Serves 2-3 as a main dish salad and 4-6 as a side dish.
I am linking up with:
Full Plate Thursday @ Miz Helen’s Country Cottage
Let’s Get Real Linky Party @ Little Family Adventure
Friday Favorites @ Simply Sweet Home
Foodie Friday @ Rattlebridge Farms
Foodie Friends Friday @ Walking on Sunshine
The Country Cook Weekend Potluck @ The Country Cook
Snickerdoodle Sunday @ Meatloaf and Melodrama
Sunday Features @ Tabler Party of Two
See Ya in the Gumbo @ Ms. enPlace
Souper Sundays @ Kahakai Kitchen
Sidewalk Shoes is a participant in the Apple Affiliate Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking.