If you want a quick and easy dinner to go with your margarita, this 20 Minute Mexican Steak Salad would be perfect!
Did you see my post from two days ago, with the Spicy Verde Gin Gimlet?
In that post, I talk about finding a new liqueur (well, new to us) called Ancho Reyes Verde – a poblano chile liqueur. One sip and we completely fell in love with this liqueur!
It turned our gimlet into a flavorful and spicy treat.
We knew it would be amazing in a margarita, and it was. Spicy, tangy, with a slight herbacious feel to it. So good!
Ingredients for Spicy Verde Margarita
- Tequila – to let the flavors of the liqueur shine through, we like to use a blanco tequila. A blanco tequila doesn’t go through any oak aging, so you get just pure tequila spirit and flavor.
- Ancho Reyes Verde Chile Poblano Liqueur – if you can’t find this (but I definitely encourage you to seek this out – it is worth it) you could muddle a slice of poblano chili pepper in your tequila.
- Agave nectar – can use simple syrup, but since agave nectar comes from the agave plant that is used to make tequila, we are keeping it all in the family here!
- Lime Juice – fresh squeezed, not bottled!
Let’s Make a Chili Margarita!
Measure 1 ounce of tequila and one ounce of Ancho Reyes Verde.
Measure 3/4 ounce of fresh lime juice (not pictured – oops!)
Measure 1/2 ounce of agave nectar.
Salt the rim of the glass (optional, but a must have for me) – lightly rub a wedge of lime around the rim of the glass and dip it in your favorite salt. I like to use a Himalayan Pink Salt.
Add the tequila, lime juice, verde liqueur and agave nectar to a cocktail shaker. Fill 3/4 full of ice. Shake for 30 seconds to properly chill and dilute.
Add ice to two rock’s or margarita glasses and strain the cocktail into the glass. Garnish with a lime wedge.
Oh my, this margarita was so good! Just the right amount of spicy heat and we loved the little bit of pepper flavor that shines through. Really elevates the margarita.
The recipe below is the one that it’s included with the liqueur. We love it and we also love adding the spicy liqueur to our other margarita recipes. Just add a 1/2 to 1 ounce to your favorite margarita and reduce the amount of tequila (if you’d like.)
More Tempting Margarita Recipes
Easy Strawberry Margarita – this recipe makes a pitcher, perfect for parties or they make game night even more fun!
Blood Orange Margaritas – gorgeous color and amazing flavor! A favorite.
Orange, Lemon and Lime Margaritas – whole fruit frozen margarita!
Spicy Verde Margarita
- 1 ounce Tequila blanco
- 1 ounce Ancho Reyes Verde Chile Liqueur
- 3/4 ounce Lime Juice fresh squeezed
- 1/2 ounce Agave Nectar
- Lime Wheel for garnish
- Himalayan Salt to salt rim
- Run a lime wedge along the edge of a glass and dip it in salt (optional.)
- Add tequila, verde liqueur, lime juice and agave nectar to a cocktail shaker and fill 3/4 full of ice. Place the lid on the shaker and shake for 30 seconds.
- Add ice to a rock's or margarita glass and strain cocktail into glass.
- Garnish with a lime wedge.