Shredded Pork Tacos with Pepita Slaw
The Pepita Slaw on top of these Shredded Pork Tacos adds such an incredible flavor and it's healthy too!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- 2/3 cup shallots sliced
- 1/2 cup unsalted chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin divided
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 8 ounces pork tenderloin trimmed and cut in half crosswise
- 5 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 15 ounce canned pinto beans rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups red cabbage thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice divided
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons pepitas toasted pumpkinseeds
- 1/3 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1 ripe avocado peeled
- 8 corn tortillas
In a small saucepan combine the shallots, stock, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, paprika, pork and garlic. Bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about 25 minutes. Check the pork, it might need a few more minutes of cooking if it's still too pink inside. Remove the pork to cool. Turn the heat back up to medium and let the sauce cook for about 8 minutes, or until it's reduced to 2 to 3 tablespoons. Shred the pork and return it and the beans back to the sauce. Smash a few of the beans to help thicken and bind the ingredients.
While the pork is cooking, make the slaw. Combine the cabbage, cilantro, 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice, oil, and a 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Toss until combined and top with the pepitas.
Combine the yogurt, avocado, 1 1/2 teaspoons lime juice, 1/4 teaspoon cumin and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Mash the avocado and mix until you get the desired consistency.
Heat the tortillas over a gas flame or in a hot dry cast iron skillet for about 20 seconds on each side. Divide the pork mixture between the tortillas, top with the yogurt mixture and slaw.
Calories: 426kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 37mg | Sodium: 950mg | Potassium: 1018mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 12.7% | Vitamin C: 34.5% | Calcium: 14.9% | Iron: 23.1%