Borlotti Minestrone with Arugula Pesto
This healthy Borlotti Miinestrone is so easy to make and it gets a burst of fresh flavor from the arugula pesto!
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
Servings 4 servings
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion sliced
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 fennel bulb trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/2 head green cabbage thinly sliced
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 pound green beans trimmed and cut in half
- 2 cups cooked borlotti beans in their broth
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 pound baby arugula leaves
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 2 to 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- fresh ground black pepper
In a soup pot over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion, garlic, fennel, and pinch of salt and saute until the vegetables are soft and fragrant about 10 minutes. Add the cabbage, stir to coat with oil and cook until it’s wilted – about 5 minutes. Add the broth, another pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes. Add the green beans and the borlotti beans and simmer for 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
For the pesto – Put the garlic, arugula, parsley and a pinch of salt in a food processer. Process until well chopped. With the motor running slowly drizzle in the olive oil, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl if needed. Add the Parmesand the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
Ladle the soup into bowls and top with a dollop of pesto. Store any leftover pesto in the fridge for up to a week. (I froze some of mine).
Calories: 480kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 33g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 8mg | Sodium: 1637mg | Potassium: 1235mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 39.7% | Vitamin C: 114.4% | Calcium: 36.1% | Iron: 26.1%