Slow Cooker Spiced Beef Stew with Sweet Potatoes
This Slow Cooker Spiced Beef Stew with Sweet Potatoes is warm and comforting and so easy in the slow cooker.
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 32 oz beef broth
- 3 lb boneless chuck roast trimmed, cut in 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds small sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 sweet onions cut into eighths
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash about 1 lb.
- 2 cups frozen whole kernel corn thawed
- 2 celery ribs sliced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
Reserve a 1/2 cup of the beef broth and whisk together the remaining broth with the tomato paste.
Put the flour salt and pepper in a ziplock bag and add the beef. Toss to coat well.
Brown the beef in batches in a large skillet over medium high heat, about 10 minutes. You want to get a nice brown crust on the beef. Remove beef from skillet and add to 6 quart slow cooker. Pour the reserved 1/2 cup of beef broth into the skillet and scrape up the brown bits, pour that into the slow cooker. Add the rest of the ingredients and cook on high for 6 hours.
Calories: 426kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 77mg | Sodium: 616mg | Potassium: 1108mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 20240IU | Vitamin C: 16.9mg | Calcium: 97mg | Iron: 4.1mg