Slow Cooker Chicken and Stout Stew
Slow Cooker Chicken and Stout Stew cooks all day in your slow cooker and is so warm and comforting.
Servings 8 servings
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt divided, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper plus more to taste
- 2 1/2 pounds chicken thighs boneless, skinless, trimmed
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 3 pieces bacon chopped
- 1 2/3 cups Guinness beer or other stout 14-ounce can
- 1 pound carrots whole baby, or large carrots cut into chunchs
- 18 ounce cremini or button mushrooms halved if large
- 2 cups onion shopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups baby peas thawed if frozen
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
Combine the flour with a 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Dredge the chicken thighs and set aside on a platter.
Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the chicken thighs and brown about 4-5 minutes per side. Place in slow cooker. Turn the heat down to medium, add 2 more teaspoons of oil and brown the rest of the thighs in the same manner and add to slow cooker.
Add the bacon to the pan and cook stirring often. Add the rest of the flour (1/2 cup) to the pan and stir for 2 more minutes. Pour in the stout and use a wooden spoon to scrape up the brown bits. Pour this over the chicken. Add the carrots, mushrooms, onion, garlic and thyme and spread over the top of the chicken. Pour over the chicken broth.
Cover and cook for 7-8 hours on low. About 10-15 minutes before serving, stir in the peas. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper.
Serve over polenta, rice or noodles.
- Chicken Thighs - boneless, skinless. Can substitute chicken breasts, but thighs stay more moist.
- Stout - Guinness or other stout.
- Carrots - I used baby, but whole carrots can be cut to size.
- Mushrooms - cremini, baby bella, or button will work.
- Onions - white or yellow
- Baby peas - can use regular peas. Thaw if frozen.
Calories: 450kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 139mg | Sodium: 567mg | Potassium: 935mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 9865IU | Vitamin C: 21.3mg | Calcium: 68mg | Iron: 2.6mg