Yellow Squash and Farro Salad
This Yellow Squash and Farro Salad is a great way to use up some summer squash! In addition you get some healthy whole grains for a bonus!
Servings 6 servings
- 1 1/2 cups farro
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb yellow squash cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cucumber peeled and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 5 green onions cut on the diagonal into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint chopped
- 1 cup feta cheese crumbled
Bring to a boil a pot of salted water. Add the farro, reduce the heat to a low boil and cook for 12-15 minutes, or until tender. Drain and let cool.
Meanwhile, heat two tablespoons of oil in a saute pan over medium high heat. Add the squash and cook until tender 2-3 minutes (I did it a little longer to get some nice browning). Let cool.
Mash the garlic into a paste with a little bit of salt. Add it to a small mason jar and top with the 1/4 cup of lemon juice. Let it sit for 10 minutes. Then add the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil and shake to emulsify.
Place the farro, squash, cucumber, green onions, basil, mint and feta in a bowl. Top with the dressing and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
Calories: 388kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 22mg | Sodium: 288mg | Potassium: 470mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 535IU | Vitamin C: 21.2mg | Calcium: 170mg | Iron: 2.1mg