Shrimp, Avocado and Grapefruit Salad
This is such a wonderful winter salad! The richness of the shrimp and avocado is cut by the tartness of the grapefruit and watercress.
- 2 cups shrimp cooked, shelled
- 1 avocado pitted and sliced
- 1 grapefruit peeled and segmented
- 2 cups watercress or baby lettuce mix
- 1/2 cup of toasted pecans
- 3 limes juiced
- 1 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/2 cup mint chopped
- 1 green chile deseeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce
Arrange the shrimp, avocado, grapefruit, and lettuce on a plate.
Place the dressing ingredients in a blender and process for just a minute or two.
Pour the dressing over the salad and top with the pecans.
- Cooked Shrimp - if you don't have cooked shrimp, my favorite way to cook them is to roast them in the oven. Toss them with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and spread on a baking sheet. Roast in a preheated 400 degree oven for 6-8 minutes.
- Grapefruit - pink or white.
- Salad Mix - watercress or baby lettuce
- Toasted Pecans - toast pecans in a dry skillet over medium high heat until fragrant.
- Limes - juice of 3 limes. Zest the limes before juicing and store the zest in freezer to use in another recipe.
- Cilantro - use the leaves, save the stems for soup.
- Green Chili Pepper - seed if you don't want the heat. I used a jalapeño.
Calories: 572kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 34g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 322mg | Sodium: 1217mg | Potassium: 1177mg | Fiber: 15g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 3715IU | Vitamin C: 106mg | Calcium: 349mg | Iron: 5.3mg