Mexican Quinoa Salad
This Mexican Quinoa Salad is filled with all sorts of good for you things - like black beans, orange bell peppers, quinoa and avocados.
- 1/3 cup uncooked quinoa
- 14 oz canned black beans rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup corn canned or frozen, thawed
- 1/2 red onion finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and finely chopped
- 6 slices pickled jalapeno peppers finely chopped
- 1 avocado peeled, pitted and cut into cubes
- 1 small head romaine lettuce
- 1 3/4 oz tortilla chips crumbled, plus more for serving
- 1 lime halved, to serve
Rinse and drain the quinoa. Add 1 cup of water to a lidded saucepan and add the quinoa. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes, or until most of the liquid has been absorbed and the quinoa is fluffy. Remove from the heat and drain off any excess water and set aside to cool.
In a large bowl combine the quinoa, beans, corn, onion, peppers, and jalapenos. Mix until combined and then lightly stir in the avocado.
Shred the lettuce and add it to bowl, sprinkle with the tortilla chips and toss lightly. Serve with more tortilla chips and fresh lime wedges to squeeze over the salad.
Note - if you want to serve this salad later or pack it for a lunch - keep the tortilla chips separate until serving.
- Quinoa - be sure and rinse it first to remove the natural coating which may taste soapy or bitter.
- Black Beans - can use kidney beans.
- Corn - fresh or frozen.
- Red Onion - I used Quick Pickled Red Onions because I don't like raw onions.
- Red Bell Pepper - preferably organic since bell peppers are on the dirty dozen list.
- Romaine Lettuce - can also use kale for more nutrition value or iceberg lettuce.
Calories: 682kcal | Carbohydrates: 102g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 888mg | Potassium: 2070mg | Fiber: 31g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 4300IU | Vitamin C: 326.7mg | Calcium: 183mg | Iron: 7.7mg