You will want to make this Yellow Squash and Farro Salad all summer long!! Perfect for using up all your garden produce! This post may contain affiliate links.
I don’t know what it’s like where you live, but here, it’s hot. I have a photo shoot this afternoon and it’s going to be 94 degrees, but feel like 100! I am more worried about what I am going to wear than I am about the photo shoot! I have to wear something ridiculously light, but I also have to be able to get down on the ground if I have to (I do anything for a good shot!). Plus, I hope my client’s are dressed comfortably!
That really doesn’t have anything to do with this fantastic summer grain salad, except that it has yellow summer squash in it and to me that means hot summer weather. I have fallen completely in love with grain salads and this one from Cooking from the Farmers’ Market by Williams-Sonoma is wonderful! You will want to make this all summer long! I made this early in the day and kept it in the fridge until dinner, then I just brought it out about 30 minutes before eating so it could come to room temperature. The combination of the sautéed squash and the cool cucumber is perfect. The mint and basil add plenty of herby flavor and the feta adds just the right amount of soft tang. The farro, one of my favorite grains, stays nice and chewy. I reduced the amount of olive oil from 1/2 cup to 1/4 cup – because I like my dressing ratio to be 50/50.
- 1 1/2 cups farro
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb yellow squash, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 5 green onions, cut on the diagonal into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Bring to a boil a pot of salted water. Add the farro, reduce the heat to a low boil and cook for 12-15 minutes, or until tender. Drain and let cool.
- Meanwhile, heat two tablespoons of oil in a saute pan over medium high heat. Add the squash and cook until tender 2-3 minutes (I did it a little longer to get some nice browning). Let cool.
- Mash the garlic into a paste with a little bit of salt. Add it to a small mason jar and top with the 1/4 cup of lemon juice. Let it sit for 10 minutes. Then add the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil and shake to emulsify.
- Place the farro, squash, cucumber, green onions, basil, mint and feta in a bowl. Top with the dressing and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
I’m linking up with: Friday Favorites @ Simply Sweet Home Foodie Friday @ Rattlebridge Farms Foodie Friends Friday @ Walking on Sunshine #FoodieFriDIY @ A Dish of Daily Life The Country Cook Weekend Potluck @ The Country Cook Snickerdoodle Sunday @ Meatloaf and Melodrama Sunday Features @ Tabler Party of Two Best of the Weekend @ Lady Behind the Curtain Found and Foraged @ House of Hipsters Say G’Day Saturday @ What’s on the List See Ya in the Gumbo @ Ms. enPlace