Hibiscus Soda

Hibiscus Soda | Sidewalk Shoes

Okay, remember when I bought a SodaStream?  And then I went and bought several books on making syrups to make sodas?

Hibiscus Soda | Sidewalk ShoesOne of the recipes that I marked to try was Hibiscus Syrup in The Artisan Soda Workshop: 75 Homemade Recipes from Fountain Classics to Rhubarb Basil, Sea Salt Lime, Cold-Brew Coffee and Much Much Moreby Andrea Lynn.  Since hibiscus is high in vitamin C and I was feeling under-the-weather, it sounded like a good choice.

Hibiscus Soda | Sidewalk Shoes

This was really easy to make.  The hardest part is tearing open tea bags!

Hibiscus Soda | Sidewalk Shoes

I need to get cute paper tag labels, don’t you think?

So, basically you open tea, steep it, add some honey, store in jar in fridge and add 2 tablespoons or more to 10 ounces of seltzer.  Easy peasy.  This will be so lovely in the summer.

Hibiscus Syrup

• 1 cup water
  • 3 tablespoons honey
  • 8 hibiscus tea bags or 3 tablespoons loose dried hibiscus

In a small pot bring water to a boil.  Once boiling, remove from heat and stir in honey.  Add the tea bags or loose hibiscus and let it steep for 15 minutes.  Then remove the tea bags or strain out the loose hibiscus.  Taste and add more honey if needed.  Let cool, refrigerate covered for up to 3 days.

This will be my entry for Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum!

Comments

Hmmmm, I am not certain about the hibiscus, but this could certainly be adapted for any bagged tea flavor. Thanks, I just got a soda book too (surprise, another cookbook) and there are some fun things in that one. But yours sounds really interesting.

So, with all of these wonderful sodas you’re making, I have to ask how you get the CO2 cartridges for the sodastream refilled? Thus, what is the price per serving? Sorry. The engineer in me has to know.

Oh, and I don’t know why you don’t have cute paper tag labels already. Tell hubby that they would be a wonderful “just because” present.

Pam this sounds like a wonderful summer beverage. Now for summer to arrive…I’m keeping the faith.

I agree, fancy labels would look awesome on the jars.

i love the filter you used on these photos–it seems appropriate, for some reason. glorious soda, though i can’t even imagine how it tastes. :)

I LOVE my SodaStream, but not the price of CO2 refills, so I bought a Sodamod adaptor at:

Also, I bought a 20 oz. paintball gas bottle, screwed on the Sodamod, and the sporting goods store or paintball fields refill it for $3.50 instead of the $15 that stores charge for the SodaStream Carbonator. Next I’m going to buy a large boxed bag of real Diet Coke syrup. Yum! I also like the Mio flavors and other Great Value mini-bottled flavors like cherry limeade – it’s just like Sonic’s.