Lemon Spiced Bean Pickle

Green Beans

To pickle or not to pickle, that is the question. What??? That’s not your question? Seriously? Well, it’s mine. I’ve become a pickling goddess, if you will. My latest foray into the pickling arena are these pickled green beans. I adore pickled green beans. In the winter, when they are all crisp and pickle-y, they remind me of summer.

Green Beans - Laying Down

I also love to can, but I’m not a huge fan of pounds and pounds of things. I probably wouldn’t even enjoy doing something with pounds and pounds of chocolate, though I’d be willing to try. So, anyway, The Complete Book of Year-Round Small-Batch Preserving: Over 300 Delicious Recipes works for me. You don’t end up with jars and jars of things and you don’t have to stand your kitchen peeling peaches for three hours (been there, done that).

Pickled Green Beans

This recipe uses a mere two pounds of green beans, so when my bag of green beans from my CSA weighed in at just under that, I was set to go. This is really easy, the only thing I might mention is that it’s easier to get your green beans all lined up nicely if you lay your jar on it’s side. I plan on using these in the winter as a side dish or mixed in a nice three bean salad, plus they’re good for just snacking.

Lemon Spiced Bean Pickle
Makes 3 pint jars

1 lb green beans
1 lb yellow beans (I used all green)
2 1/2 cups cider vinegar
1 1/4 cups water
1 tablespoon pickling salt
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon pickling spice
3 strips lemon rind

Wash and trim the beans, so that they fit nicely in the jar (about 4 inches long).

Combine the vinegar, water, salt, and sugar in a medium saucepan and bring it to a boil over high heat. Add the beans, cover the pot, return to a boil, and boil for 1 minute. Remove from the heat, drain the beans, reserving the liquid. Return the liquid to the saucepan and bring to a boil.

Remove hot jars from the canner and place 1 teaspoon of pickling spice and 1 strip of lemon rind into each jar. Pack in the beans and pour the boiling liquid into the jars leaving 1/2 inch head space. Set hot lids on the jars and screw bands on. Lower the jars into the boiling water. Process for 10 minutes.** Remove jars from the water and let sit on the counter for 12 hours, check for seal.

**If you’ve never canned before, do a google search on water bath canning, or better yet, get a simple canning book. Water batch canning is pretty simple, but there are some basic steps you follow.

Comments

I don’t think I’ve had many pickled things…except well pickled pickles! I imagine these would be good, especially with the lemon!

i love pickled beans. more specifically, i love dill-pickled beans. your lemon twist sounds intriguing and delicious and i want to try it immediately.

Yum! Green beans I did not pickle last year, one of the only things. I love the lemon. Adding a bookmark for when the green beans grow!

I’m coming to your house, and we will tackle some involved project involving pounds and pounds of chocolate. Someone has to make that sacrifice; why not us?

This is one thing that I have never tried, but am dying to learn how. I am so afraid! I too can see myself only canning a small amount of one item. These beans go great with a spicy Bloody Mary. Yum! Thanks for sharing – Stacy

This is a wonderful recipe! I bet the lemon is terrific with the green beans. I would love to check out this book! It sound perfect for our small family.

I want to learn how to can! Plus, pickled anything sounds good to me. Your tip to turn the jars on their sides before filling them is a super idea! Like you, I wouldn’t want to can 40 jars of anything, but it would be so nice to pop open a jar or two this winter and relive summers bounty! :-) Oh, and I’d be quite happy to just nibble on some chocolate while I was canning beans!

Ive never done canning. I have 3 apple trees in the back, and I know there’s going to be a lot of apples this year. I’d like to make apple sauce (they dont sell it in England). I am going to look it up. Im always afraid my stuff will go mouldy because I do something wrong. I can be a bit of an air-head lol.

Great tip about laying jars on their sides! I love small batches of pickles, too — even the traditional cucumber kind. I’ll buy 12 small Kirby cukes and make countertop pickles, just one or two jars per batch. Seems to be the right amount for me.