Quick Pickled Cucumbers

Quick Pickled Cucumbers

If you were to open up my refrigerator right now, you would probably find at least 6 different jars of veggies in various stages of pickling.  I adore pickling.  Love it with a passion.  There is no quicker or easier way to preserve vegetables.  When my CSA overloads me with something, I invariably slice it up, blanch if needed, make a quick pickling brine, put the veggies in a jar, pour the brine over them, and store in the fridge.  Now, the veggies that I was under the gun to eat in a week or two can now sit for a month or two in my fridge and be eaten at leisure.

But even with all this pickling going on, I still find the need for a quick pickle every now and then for a super fast side dish.  Enter Mark Bittman and his Quick Pickled Vegetables from How To Cook Everything: Simple Recipes for Great Food.  I used cucumbers for this and they came out delightfully crisp, a little salty, a little sweet.  This will be my go-to quick pickle from now on!

Quick Pickled Vegetables

• 1 pound cucumber, zucchini, summer squash, or eggplant
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill, or 1 teaspoon dried dill
  • 2 teaspoons any vinegar

Wash the vegetables, peel if you’d like and thinly slice (a mandoline is recommended, but I just used my mad knife skills).  Place them in a colander and salt them, toss them and sort of rub the salt in and over all of them.

Let them sit for 15-30 minutes, tossing and squeezing every few minutes.  When they stop oozing liquid, rinse them well in cold water and place in a bowl.

Toss them with the sugar, dill and vinegar, and serve immediately, this does not keep well.

This will be my entry for I Heart Cooking Clubs!

And Real Food Wednesdays

And  Two For Tuesdays

**** And don’t forget you have till Noon today (EST) to enter my GIVEAWAY!

Comments

I love cucumber pickles, but I can’t seem to grow dill in my garden, and I can never find beautiful cukes AND dill at the farm stand at the same time. Nice to have a recipe on hand that can use dried dill. It’s not my first choice, but sometimes, a girl just has to have a pickle….

I have a bunch of cucumbers that I need to do something with, this is great…..they will bre great with sandwiches.

I made this pickle recipe awhile back and it was my very favorite too! My mom and I ate the whole bowl in one setting:)

I make these and put them in rice wine vinegar diluted with a little water (about 3/1). The rice vinegar is a little sweet so I don’t add any sugar. They keep for weeks. When the cukes are gone you can use the solution for more batches for about 3 weeks. So good and pretty good for you!

My husband loves cucumbers in vinegar with just a little pepper but they’re a little too tart for me. I think I’d like this, though. I’m going to make this for our next cookout…thanks for mentioning that it isn’t a good keeper, though. I’ll make it just before we need it.

Wonderful looking cucumbers. I’ve always loved pickled things as well and look forward to doing a lot of serious pickiling this summer.

pam’s a pickler. pickle-y pam. i’ve heard a little pickling lime makes the crunch really stand out–worth a try, no? :)

we’ve been getting tons of cukes from our CSA this year. i usually make a spicy salad with rice vinegar. yours looks great!

I never knew how to make this. My mom would tell me it’s easy, you just do this and that. Thanks for making a printable instruction. Now to find the cucumbers.

I’m getting overloaded with veggies from my CSA, I will need to try pickling them. I remember my gramma used to pickle back in the day. I just love dill!! Thank you for the recipe!

These are easy and would go great with a lot of things. First thing that comes to mind would be some Greek or Turkish kabobs. Yum!