Roasted Shrimp with Lemon Thyme

Roasted Shrimp with Lemon Thyme

After declaring 2011, “The Summer of My Herbs” I could think of no better book to turn to than,The Herbfarm Cookbook by Jerry Traunfeld.  The subtitle, “200 Herb-Inspired Recipes, Plus a Complete Guide to Growing, Handling, and Cooking with Fresh Herbs” says it all.  This is going to make my “Summer of My Herbs” so easy!  Now, if only I could find a book on how to get someone else to come clean out my garage, I will be all set.

Have you discovered roasting shrimp?  It’s amazing.  Especially if you roast them in their shells; they stay so moist and tender, plus it removes a prep step for the cook.  I am all about removing prep steps, I say the eaters need to put in a little effort every now and then!

Roasted Shrimp with Lemon Thyme

The original recipe called for marjoram, but it gave the variations of using English or lemon thyme, or rosemary.  Since my lemon thyme was looking particularly attractive that day, it was the winner!  And speaking of winners, this recipe is one.  So simple, perfect for a weeknight, or a weekend when you’ve been out having fun all day.  Serve this with some roasted veggies and your entire dinner can be made with one bowl and 2 baking sheets.  Nice.

Roasted Shrimp with Lemon Thyme

• 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp in the shell, cleaned (I used the easy peel kind)
  • 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons coarsely chopped lemon thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped lemon zest
  • 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 425.

Place shrimp in a large bowl, add the rest of the ingredients and toss to combine.  Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet.  Roast for 3-5 minutes or until shells turn pink and shrimp is no longer translucent.  Serve warm or cold in their shells.

Serves 3-4 as a main dish or 8 tapas servings.

This will be my entry for Weekend Herb Blogging hosted by   Graziana from Erbe in Cucina (Cooking with Herbs).

Comments

I have lemon basil growing in my apartment but not lemon thyme…I wonder how this would be with that instead….

And if you find a book that will clean your garage AND my room…well. That would be ideal.

Ina Garten introduced me to roasting shrimp (and roasting just about everything else, too). So simple to do and so flavorful. Your lemon thyme would be perfect with shrimp.

Shrimp has become a very popular dish these past couple of months, each one makes me want to eat more shrimp! This looks yummy. Are these small enough that they do not have to be de-veined? (yeah, I don’t know a lot about them…)

Ah Pam, you and I are all about the easy. I can always count on you. I have a big ‘ol bag of frozen shrimp from Costco that now has a destiny.

Love roasted shrimp and these look particularly delicious. You’re right – the flavor is just so much richer isn’t it. I think it’s the only way to cook shrimp…no more boring boiled stuff in this house!

The Herbfarm is my Mecca, and I am lucky to live within a few miles of it. I’ve made this and other recipes from this book many times, but if you ever get a chance to visit, DO. It’s heaven!

Lemon thyme grows like a weed in my garden and it is one of my favorite herbs. I like the idea of roasting shrimp in their shells to keep them nice and moist.

Easy is always the clincher for me. Let me know how you do with the book on getting someone to clean out your garage. I always have to beat my sons into it.

Good evening, Pam,
    Seafood is one of my favorites…and I guess, we don’t have it often here in the Dakotas! Well, from the freezer section!!

Have a terrific Tuesday ~Natalie

regardless of the time, the context, or my mood, the song ‘time is on my side’ plays in my head whenever i see thyme in an ingredient list. weird.