Slow-Roasted Grapes

Roasted Grapes

Did you know about roasted grapes?  Does everyone know about roasted grapes?  Am I the last to find out?

The last to find out how amazing they are.

Roasted Grapes

So, you know last year, one of my very favorite new cookbooks was All About Roasting: A New Approach to a Classic Artby Molly Stevens.  I loved that book so much that I even gave away a copy as penance for my bad blogging and reviewed it here.

As I said she covers everything from meat, to seafood, to fruits and vegetables.  I was immediately intrigued by roasted grapes.  Primarily because it quite possibly is the easiest recipe in the book.  Seriously, heat your oven, toss some grapes in either olive oil or butter, roast.  Eat.  Enjoy.

And enjoy I did.  These are wonderful.  Little bite sized bits of sweet goodness.  I can’t explain their taste.  They don’t taste like grapes any more, they are sweeter, almost pear or apple like, but not quite.  Really, if you had your eyes closed, you would be hard pressed to identify them.

She suggests stirring a little honey into some Greek yogurt and topping with these grapes, topping rice puddings, or really any sort of pudding.  For savory uses, they go great with poultry, in green salads, on a cheese plate. Possibilities are endless.

Slow-Roasted Grapes

• 3/4 pound red grapes – preferably seedless, rinsed and stemmed
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil or unsalted butter melted

Heat the oven to 250 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Arrange the grapes in a single layer on the baking sheet and toss with butter or olive oil.  Roast, stirring once or twice for 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 hours, or until shriveled and lightly caramelized.

You can refrigerate them, but bring them to room temperature before serving.

This will be my entry for Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum!

Comments

I heard of roasted grapes probably about three weeks ago when Bon Appetit had a recipe for sausages and roasted grapes over polenta that sparked my interest. unfortunately, all of the reviews of that dish are awful, but I think it could be reworked to be heavenly. I think that might be my goal for this weekend, after seeing these.

I’ve only heard of roasting grapes with meat. It does sound interesting. It would be a good weekend to try it with the cold front coming in.

I’ve heard about them too, but have never made them. They’ve just got to be fabulous as roasting anything just intensifies the flavors.

I’ve seen these around. At first I was like “um, no”. But I am coming around. Perhaps I’ll give them a try this weekend, you’ve sold me!

Had never heard of roasting grapes… Bet they are good especially as a topping on yogurt or pudding… YUM….

You got much snow down there? We have 2 inches here and schools are closed. It’s bitter cold though —18 now… Brrrr.

Hugs,
    Betsy

I’ve stirred grapes into a white sauce for pork. Fabulous. The first time I did it, my dearly beloved thought it was weird. He ate one, and promptly exclaimed, “Hot grapes are good!” So I’m pretty sure your roasted grapes would be splendid, too!

You are not the last. I hadn’t heard of it before. I thought this was going to be a post about wine and that was your tasting review. Huh! Will have to try. With greek yoghurt and honey sounds good!

I first heard about them at the beginning of the year, so you are not alone. They sound delicious and your photo makes them seem really appealing. I hope you have a great weekend. Blessings…Mary

Yum! I’ve also heard that grapes + sausage go very well together when they are roasted. I have yet to try it but I’ll at least have to try the grapes by themselves!

I didn’t know about roasted grapes but Kelsey’s Essentials on the Cooking Channel did a thing on grilled grapes, probably very similar in flavor.

11. Anonymous says

just heard about them on The Splendid Table – Lynne Rosetto Kasper was interviewing Molly Stevens! I’m going to make them today!