This week’s theme was “Hidden Surprise.” Since this is only my second bundt cake of my entire life, I don’t feel confident experimenting too much. So I found Sour-Cream Hazelnut Bundt Cake at Cooking Light and decided it sounded like a safe bet for an inexperienced baker. But then I decided I needed to make it a little more me. And what could possibly be more me than a little booze thrown into the equation.
So, do you all remember when I made Hazelnut Liqueur? Well, after making that liqueur, I was left with some vodka soaked hazelnuts. I couldn’t just throw them out. Waste not, want not, and all that. So, I tossed them in a jar and into the freezer they went. Waiting for just the right moment to come out and share their liquor enhanced nuttiness. This was the moment.
Now, if you don’t have any vodka soaked hazelnuts you can use your plain hazelnuts, but you really need to make the hazelnut liqueur and then you would have some… Also, since this is a Cooking Light recipe they call for fat free sour cream. I don’t do fat free, so I used nice full fat sour cream. I like fat. Fat likes me.
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon dry breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (16-ounce) carton sour cream
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons chocolate-hazelnut spread (such as Nutella)
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Coat a 12-cup bundt pan with cooking spray and sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Place sugar and butter in a mixing bowl and beat at medium speed for about 2 minutes. Add the eggs one time, beating after each addition. Add the vanilla and the sour cream and beat until well blended.
- To measure the flour spoon into a measuring cup and level with a knife. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a bowl and whisk to combine. Add this to the sugar mixture and mix until just combined.
- Spoon half the batter into the bundt pan and sprinkle with the hazelnuts. Drop the Nutella by small spoonfuls on top of the hazelnuts. Spoon the rest of the batter over the top. You can swirl with a knife if you'd like.
- Bake at 350 for 55 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes, then remove the cake from the pan. Allow to cool completely before dusting with powdered sugar.
#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme.
Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on the BundtBakers home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. The theme for April is “Hidden Surprise” – Bundt cakes with fillings or stuffing. There was no constraint on filling and flavor choices.The only
requirement was that the cake be filled/stuffed inside. Anshie from SpiceRoots was our host for this month.
If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Almond Crunch Cake – Magnolia Days
- Balsamic Strawberries Bundt Cake –
Our Good Life
- Banana Maple Bundt Cake with Chocolate Star – Un Mordisco Un Pecado
- Black and White Surprise Bundt Cake – Patty’s Cake
- Chocolate and Vanilla Polka Dot Bundt – Passion Kneaded
- Chocolate Bundt Cake with Oreo Cheesecake Filling – Recipes, Food and Cooking
- Chocolate Cheesecake Stuffed Peanut Butter Bundt Cake – Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Citrus Raspberry Bundt – Noshing With The Nolands
- Confetti Zebra Cake – Eat, Drink, Be Mighty
- Cookie Dough Bundt Cake – Liv for Cake
- German Mozarthupf – A Kingdom for a Cake
- Graham Cracker Bundt Cake with Key Lime Cheesecake Swirl – Brooklyn Homemaker
- KitKat Surprise Bundt Cake –Simply Veggies
- Lemon Blueberry Van Halen Bundt – Food Lust People Love
- Orange and Strawberry Jam Bundt Cake – Baking Yummies
- Pear and Blue Cheese Bundt – Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Polka Dot Bundt Cake – Brunch with Joy
- Raspberry Filled Lemon Bundt – A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Real Nutella Bundt Cake – Baking in Pyjamas
- Savory Monkey Bread Stuffed Bundt – Adventures in All Things Food
- Sour Cream Boozy Hazelnut Bundt Cake – Sidewalk Shoes
- Spring Break S’mores Cake – Tea and Scones
- Strawberry Cheesecake Bundt Cake – Basic N Delicious
- Strawberry Twinky Bundt Cake – I Love Bundt Cakes
- Strawberry Swirl Cream Cheese Pound Cake – Big Rigs ‘n Lil’ Cookies
- Surprise Bundt – Mummy & Cute
- Surprise Filled Chocolate Bundt Cake – Media Ración Doble, Por Favor
- Surprise Inside Carrot Bundt Cake- Making Miracles
- Triple Lemon Bundt Cake – Baking and Creating with Avril
- Tropical Surprise Bundt Cake – Spice Roots