Who doesn't love easy sheet pan dinners? This Lemon Salmon with Spicy Roasted Cauliflower is an easy and good for you one pan dinner!
When I made Thyme-Rubbed Salmon with Cauliflower "Risotto" I discovered what a perfect pair salmon and cauliflower are. Before that, I had never thought to pair salmon and cauliflower. When you put salmon and cauliflower together, something magical happens. The fatty richness of the salmon perfectly compliments the nuttiness of the cauliflower. It's magic, I tell you.
The other beautiful thing about pairing salmon and cauliflower is they both don't need a lot done to them to make them wonderful. Simple is good. A little bit of this, a little bit of that, some olive oil and you have everything you need.
I originally found this recipe at Martha Stewart and then again at Serious Eats. Two places that rarely ever disappoint me when I go searching for recipes. The cauliflower gets tossed with garlic, anchovies and red pepper flakes. Making it nutty, a little fishy, spicy and amazing! This is easily the best roasted cauliflower that I've ever had. The salmon just gets a simple slice of lemon. Nothing to really write home about, but when you've got all the flavors that the cauliflower is bringing to the table, the salmon can sit back and take an enjoyable second place.
What makes this dish even more appealing is that it uses one simple sheet pan, and if you line your sheet pan with parchment paper like I did, clean up is practically non existent. You simply start the cauliflower and then after it's been roasting for about 15 minutes, you make a little room for the lemon bedazzled salmon and finish roasting for 15 minutes. That's it. Served with a salad and a chunk of bread (yes, we have chunks of bread, we are carb lovers here) and you are good to go!
Lemon Salmon with Spicy Roasted Cauliflower
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 to 4 anchovy fillets (optional)
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons anchovy oil (from can of anchovies) or olive oil
- 1 head cauliflower (about 2 pounds), cored and cut into large florets
- 4 6 ounce skinless salmon fillets
- 4 thin lemon slices halved, plus 4 wedges, for serving
- Preheat oven to 450. Place the garlic, anchovies, and red pepper flakes into a small pile and coarsely chop it. Sprinkle generously with salt and using the flat of your knife, smoosh it into a paste. Alternatively you can just put it all of those ingredients in a mortar and pestle and grind them to a paste.
- Place the paste in a large bowl along with the olive and anchovy oil and the cauliflower. Toss to combine. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes.
- Season the salmon with salt and pepper and top with a lemon slice. Remove the cauliflower from the oven and place the salmon filets on the baking sheet. Return to oven and roast for about 10 more minutes.