Cranberry Liqueur

Homemade Cranberry Liqueur!  So good and easy!  Time does most of the work!  Makes lovely Christmas gifts!

Cranberry Liqueur

Please place this recipe in the better-late-than-never category.  Why?  Because I first came across this recipe in the Cooking Light Recipes Annual from 2004.  It was the very last recipe of the book. I remember showing it to my husband and insisting that he run out and buy some vodka.  Then, I’m not quite sure what happened.  Fast forward five years, I’m glancing through the book again, and there it is.  I insist my husband run out and buy some vodka and this time, I stand in the kitchen waiting for him, cranberries in hand.

Now I can’t tell you if this is good or not, because it will not be ready to December 4th.  But how could it not be??

Cranberry Liqueur

• 2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 12-ounce package of fresh cranberries (or one of the 8 or so you have in your freezer)
  • 3 cups vodka

Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan and over medium heat cook for 5 minutes, stirring, until sugar dissolves.  Remove from heat and cool completely.

Place cranberries in food processor and process for about 2 minutes or until finely chopped. Combine the sugar mixture, cranberries, and vodka in a large bowl.  Pour into clean jars with lids and let sit in a cool, dark place for 3 weeks, shaking every other day (or whenever you remember).

Strain through a cheesecloth lined sieve into a bowl and discard solids.  Pour into clean jars or bottles, and sit back and admire!

Note: Liqueur can be stored refrigerated or at room temperature for a year.

SERVING SUGGESTION – Cranberry Cosmopolitan – Place crushed ice in a cocktail shaker.  Add 1/2 cup cranberry liqueur, 1/4 cup Cointreau, and 2 tablespoons lime juice; strain into martini glasses.  Yields 2 cocktails.

This will be my entry for Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum!

Comments

Making some today, I like your straightforward recipe better than the one I have used in the past. But this part is important, use the drained cranberries to make a cranberry cinnamon cake with, I baked mine in a bundt pan. So delicious. Your favorite vanilla cake with the fruit stirred in will do. Enjoy.

You’re so funny! Now we have to wait and see… I know when I made my vanilla extract I had to wait a lot longer than 3 weeks, so this should be a piece of cake. I posted pictures before, during and after! I’ll be back!

I love different liqueurs and this sounds so simple! I always keep a bottle of vodka in the freezer so it’ll be the cranberries I need to get – I see a visit to the supermarket in my future hehe.

This looks amazing. I have made some lemon liqueur in the past and it was sensational – i left it for longer than you but the basic principle is the same. Sure it will be great!

5. Anonymous says

I make a version of this and add orange peels-Delicious over ice with club soda and a lime wedge..everyone loves it..

I only have 4 bags of cranberries left in the freezer, because I used 4 for fresh cranberry sauce. So now I need to buy more, right?

it will be fabulous, because i have been making, and taste testing hooch for the last 2 weeks, i have pom, lemon and org ready to go, only becasue i can pick them from my garden, but i am ready to grind up the cranberries now!

Got it put together today, so we will be having Cranberry Liqueur for Christmas. It makes a great Seabreeze also. Fill a glass with ice, add a shot of vodka, fill glass with grapefruit juice, and add a shot of the liqueur, YUM.

9. Anonymous says

I have soaked blackberries in vodka and was not disappointed. Actually turned right around and made it again!

10. wyo says

My mom loves cranberries, so I sent her your link and she made some that was ready for her birthday … we enjoyed it plain, and also with orange juice … thanks so much for the recipe!

I know this is a while back…but what if I set it up and forgot???Will it still be good? I’m saving the cranberries for garnish :)

Trackbacks