Skillet Chicken Pasta

Skillet Chicken Pasta

Can you feel it?  That subtle shift in food cravings.  I’m slowly edging away from warm and comfortable, to light and fresh.  But before I go, I want to wallow in a few more cheesy, rich dishes.  Like this.  Except it’s from Cooking Light so it’s not so rich.  Except that it called for 1/3-less-fat-cream-cheese and I don’t use lowfat anything (I’m a full fat kind of girl), so I guess it is rich.  But still 1/2 cup of cream cheese, how bad can that be?

So, this was good.  It was quick and easy, perfect for a weeknight.  It kind of had a tetrazzini/stroganoff kind of vibe going on.

Skillet Chicken Pasta

• 1  (9-ounce) package fresh linguine (I used dried)
  • 1  pound  chicken breast tenders
  • 1/4  teaspoon  seasoned salt
  • 1/8  teaspoon  black pepper
  • 1  tablespoon  butter
  • 1  cup  mushrooms, sliced
  • 1/2  cup  sliced onion
  • 1/2  cup  dry sherry
  • 1  cup  chicken broth
  • 1/2  cup  (4 ounces) cream cheese

Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain.

While pasta cooks, sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken, mushrooms, and onion; sauté 7 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove from pan; keep warm.

Add sherry to pan, scraping to loosen browned bits. Stir in broth and cheese; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until cheese melts (about 3 minutes), stirring constantly. Return chicken mixture to pan, and cook until thoroughly heated. Serve over pasta.

This will be my entry for this week’s Presto Pasta Nights hosted by Ruth at Once Upon a Feast.   Be sure and stop by for the big 4th birthday party!!!

This will be my entry for Heart ‘n Soul Blog Hop

Comments

Most people are busy trying to healthify recipes…and you dehealthify them. That’s kinda sorta what I love about you. Creamy dreamy pasta. Delicious.

More and more I’m finding Cooking Light recipes are to our liking these days. We don’t use non-fat things, but some low fat products are pretty good, including, I think, cream cheese. But I certainly respect freedom of choice. It what makes the world go around.

Lovely pasta dish Pam.
    Sam

Fat free diary is silly. Also, most of the recipes I find from Cooking Light that I end up making, are not at all “light” – this would be one. You sold me with the tetrazzini/stroganoff vibe.

I don’t do low fat either. If I’m going to indulge in cream cheese, give me all the fat and flavor. I just won’t butter my bread, that’s all.

This sounds wonderful. I love skillet meals and this pasta sounds especially delicious. I hope you have a great day. Blessings…Mary

Pam – Like you I’m trying to fit in all the comforting, richest, most satisfying dishes before the weather changes.

I’m all for pasta with full fat cheese.

Yum! I’m coming over for dinner! That and also to have Coco in my lap!
    PS I don’t believe in low fat cream cheese eithe!

it’s odd–i don’t mind the neufchatel cream cheese, but i find any other low-fat cheese positively revolting. that said, i can’t blame ya for sticking with the rich stuff for this one. :)

Uh yum! I’m a full fat kinda’ girl too, although calling myself a girl is a bit of a stretch…more like ole’ lady. Ha.

Great dish and I love your creamy take. Thanks so much for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights. It’s always great when you do. This one sounds awesome.

I’m with you on the “low-fat” yogurt, cream cheese, milk, etc., etc., a full fat type of person. I quote Ruhlman a lot on that – it’s not fat that makes you fat, it’s eating too much. At any rate, your pasta does sound delish.

I am trying to squeeze in several more of those comfort-food dishes, and the weather in SoCal sometimes even co=operates:)
    I love the combination of mushrooms and sherry, especially with the additional creaminess (yes, ful-fat everything in this house, too:)