Greek Salad

Greek Salad

I started to begin this post by saying that Greek Salads were my favorite, but then I paused.  Wait.  What about Cobb Salads?  And wait, what about Caesar?   And, don’t forget Waldorf!

So, okay, I maybe don’t have a favorite salad.  I have a list of favorites, one that grows and changes depending on what salad I am forking into my mouth at the moment.  At this moment, it is a Greek Salad, and it is my favorite.

Even though you really don’t need a recipe for Greek Salad, I found one in Everyday Food: Great Food Fastbecause I can always count on Martha for a good salad.  We had this for dinner one night last week, and I realized that if I always kept these ingredients in the fridge (and I almost always do), I could easily have this salad on the table in 20 minutes, anytime I felt like it.

Greek Salad

• 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
  • 1 head romaine lettuce, cut into bite size pieces
  • 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1 1/2 cups crumbled feta cheese
  • 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced (omitted because I don’t like raw onions)
  • 1 large cucumber, peeled, halved, and thinly sliced
  • 1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted (I used more because one can’t have too many olives)

In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, garlic and salt and pepper.  Add the remaining ingredients and toss.

Serves 4.

This will be my entry for Souper Sundays (Soup, Salad, or Sammie) hosted by Deb at Kahakai Kitchen.

and for

This will be my entry for Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum!

Comments

I think you named all my favorite salads too. I’m currently obsessed with caesar, but I never turn down a greek.

Yum, I have no problem saying this is my favorite salad. You make Greek salad just the way I like it, lots of feta and olives. Best of all, it goes together in just minutes.

Salads are a favorite with me too and I’d never turn down this greek salad. Can’t wait for fresh tomatoes to ripen for lots of summer salads!

I love Greek salad! My favorite lately has been one with beets and crumbled blue cheese. Unfortunately my husband hates beets, so I don’t get it often.

Greek Salad is one of my favorites too. I like the rest that you listed as well, but at least for the moment, I’d have to rank Greek at the #1 spot.

Following from Foodie Firday. Love to have you stop by and say hello!

~Mrs B

You made me smile at the Waldorf salad. My mother used to love that….she made it for herself all the time. I don’t think I’ve made one in years!

My favorite is Caesar salad, but only because it’s what I’m into right now. Had it for dinner last night and lunch today. But like you, there are so many I like.

I’d have to declaratively make this bold statement: “Salads are my favorite salads.”

Can I have mine without olives?

The only thing I’m missing is the feta so I’ll zip over to the market and pick some up. This seems like it would be a perfect spring salad for this weekend. Who doesn’t love Greek salads, for goodness sakes!?

I love a good Greek salad and this one looks delicious–perfect for a warm day. Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays. I posted it and last weeks together (even without emails!) ;-)

the moment has passed and greek salads are no longer #1, am i right? meh, they’ll be back on top before too long. :)