This Wild Rice Salad with Oranges and Grapes makes the perfect side dish for all seasons! Post may contain affiliate links.
I am still continuing to eat from the pantry. It’s been going on for 3 months now, which gives you an idea of what my pantry was looking like! I found a big jar of wild rice. When I went searching for wild rice recipes, I learned that wild rice isn’t even rice. It’s a grass plant that is related to rice with edible grains. I found a lot of recipes where the wild rice is blended with regular rice, but I kept looking until I found a wild rice recipe where the wild rice was the star. Ina Garten comes to the rescue with her Wild Rice Salad with Oranges and Grapes that I found in How Easy is That?
This Wild Rice Salad sounded perfect! It got lots of flavor from the orange segments, grapes, and dried cranberries. Though the recipe didn’t call for it, I zested the oranges before I segmented them. These were lovely organic oranges and I wasn’t going to let all that citrus flavor in the peel go to waste! I didn’t have pecans in the freezer (I keep all my nuts in the freezer) and since I’m also cooking from my freezer – I used what I had which was walnuts.
Since you can almost always find oranges and grapes at the grocery store, this salad is practically seasonless. It would be perfect for a picnic in the summer and still feel at home right alongside a ham at Christmas. I love it. If you are interested in cooking with Wild Rice, I found some Trader Joe’s Wild Rice – oh, how I wish we had a Trader Joe’s here! Maybe now that we can have wine in grocery stores starting this summer, we’ll get one!
- 1 cup long-grain wild rice (6 ounces)
- Kosher salt
- 2 navel oranges
- 2 tablespoons good olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
- 1/2 cup seedless green grapes, cut in half
- 1/2 cup pecans, toasted
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons scallions, white and green parts, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place 4 cups of water, two teaspoons of salt and the wild rice in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 50 to 60 minutes or until rice is tender. Drain well, return to pan, cover and let steam for about 10 minutes.
- Place the rice in a medium sized mixing bowl. Add the orange segments, by cutting off all of the peel and pith (zest first like I did if you'd like), then using a sharp knife, cut in between the membranes, dropping the segments into the bowl. Do this over the bowl and the orange juice will also go in the bowl. Add the olive oil, orange juice raspberry vinegar, grapes, pecans, cranberries, scallions and black pepper. Toss and adust seasonings.
- Allow flavors to blend for at least 30 minutes and serve at room temperature.
I’m linking up with: Merry Monday | Inspire Me Monday | Melt in Your Mouth Monday | Mix it Up Monday | Inspiration Monday | What’d You do This Weekend | Amaze Me Monday | Turn it Up Tuesdays
| Lou Lou Girls Treasure Box Tuesday | The Hearth and Soul | Delicious Dish Tuesday | The SITS Girls | Monthly Cocktail Link Up| Moonlight and Mason Jars | Wow Me Wednesday | Your Whims Wednesday | Wonderful Wednesdays || Wednesday Roundup| Full Plate Thursday