Chicken Cutlets cook up fast and delicious and topped with a strawberry avocado salsa make an easy weeknight dinner! Moist tender chicken, sweet tart strawberries and creamy avocados with a little heat from the jalapeños! You'll make this all spring and summer!
Chicken Cutlets are Weeknight Dinner Winners!
I'm a fan of easy weeknight dinners. Even though I love to cook, I really don't like laboring over a recipe. That's why most of my recipes are under 30 minutes. If you find one over that time, it's usually one that braises or roasts in an oven - my time involved is still usually under 30 minutes.
Now I know that you can cook a chicken breast in under 30 minutes, but usually a chicken breast is just too much meat. I love the size of chicken cutlets, in the words of Goldilocks, they are "just right." They cook in just about 3 minutes per side!
What are Chicken Cutlets? They are chicken breasts that have been halved horizontally. I am the first to admit that I am terrible at this. I tried it with these, but my results were less than optimal. Here is an article from Fine Cooking - How to Cut Chicken Cutlets. Whenever my store has cutlets on sale, I buy them and freeze them, so I always have some in the freezer.
How to Cook Chicken Cutlets
Step 1 - heat a skillet over medium high heat and drizzle with a little olive oil. Salt and pepper both sides of your chicken cutlets.
Step 2 - Place the chicken cutlets in the skillet - I use a Lodge Cast Iron Skillet and let them cook for 3 minutes without disturbing.
Step 3 - Turn the chicken over and cook for 3 more minutes on this side.
Tip - it's optional, but I cover mine with a lid for the second side of cooking. I think it keeps it more moist.
Step 4 - Remove from skillet.
Chicken Cutlets with Strawberry Avocado Salsa
This was so good, the perfect light dinner. As I mentioned in the first paragraph, I cut these cutlets myself and you can see in the photo of them in the skillet that I ended up with some smaller than others.
I served the two nice cutlets the first night with the salsa on the top. The next day, I made the rest of the cutlets and the salsa into a salad.
Chicken with Strawberry Salsa Salad!
To make the salad, just add some lettuce to a bowl. Dice the chicken and add it along with the rest of the strawberry salsa. Add some blueberries if you have them. I topped mine with Bourbon Candied Pecans and tossed it with a LLemon Poppy Seed Dressing. So good!
This easy recipe is going into regular rotation any time I can get some strawberries.
Looking for More Easy Chicken Recipes
Don't forget you can sign up to receive an email when a new post goes live! The best part is you can check to receive all updates or just your favorite parts of the blog! Maybe you only like recipes or just want to see my adorable cats, I've got you covered!
Chicken Cutlets with Strawberry-Avocado Salsa
- 1 ½ cups strawberries chopped
- ½ cup avocado peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons jalapeño pepper minced seeded
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped fresh
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 chicken breast cutlets 4-ounce
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 lime wedges
- 4 cups romaine or green lettuce leaves for serving
- Combine the strawberries, avocado, jalapeno, cilantro, lime juice, and ¼ teaspoon salt in a small bowl and set aside.
- Drizzle olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Season both sides of chicken cutlets with salt and pepper and add to skillet. Cook for 3 minutes without disturbing.
- Turn chicken cutlets over and cook for 3 more minutes - optional to cover with a lid.
- Divide lettuce leaves among the plates (about 4 per plate). Divide the chicken amongst the plates and then top with salsa. Garnish with a lime wedge.
I found this recipe in an old 2015 Cooking Light Magazine. This post was originally published in 2015 and has been updated in 2019.