This Instant Pot Quinoa Pilaf makes a quick and easy side dish! Loads of flavor from the sauteed mushrooms, onions and garlic, this pilaf goes with everything from chicken, pork, beef or even fish! Once you see how easy it is, you’ll make it all the time!
Instant Pot Side Dishes
Lately though, I’ve been playing around with using the Instant Pot for my side dish recipes. It is absolutely perfect for those times when I’m cooking my main dish in the oven, but it needs a side dish.
Pressure cooker side dishes are also perfect when I bring home a rotisserie chicken. I can heat up the chicken in the oven and serve it with a quick and easy side dish!
The quinoa pilaf is so delicious and versatile! It goes with everything – chicken, pork, beef or seafood!
Ingredients to Make Quinoa Pilaf
- Quinoa – I use organic quinoa.
- Mushrooms – use white button, cremini, or your favorite variety.
- Olive oil.
- Water – you can use broth if you want a more robust flavor. This would be a great time to use the Homemade Instant Pot Chicken Stock that you have in your fridge!
- Garlic – use as much as you’d like!
- Chives – optional garnish at the end.
How to Make Easy Instant Pot Quinoa Pilaf
Begin by placing the quinoa in a fine mesh strainer and rinsing it to remove any bitter coating. (Not pictured.)
Turn the Instant Pot to the sauté function and add the olive oil. When it’s hot, add the onions. Sauté for a couple of minutes or until they are softened.
Add the mushrooms and sauté until the mushrooms have released their liquid, usually about 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for about a minute more.
Add the water and scrape up an brown bits. Stir in the quinoa. Add salt and pepper.
Turn the Instant Pot off and then press manual button and set the time for 1 minutes (yes quinoa takes 1 minute to cook under pressure!) Lock the lid in place and make sure the vent is set to sealing.
The Instant Pot will come up to pressure and begin the one minute cooking time. After the time is up, let the pressure come down naturally (NPR) for 10 minutes. Then move the vent to release and when the pressure valve drops, unlock the lid.
Stir and add more salt and pepper to taste.
This Instant Pot Quinoa Pilaf is so good! We have already had it 2 more times since I first made it. I love that it’s easy, healthy and delicious.
You can play around with the ingredients – it would be great with dried fruit, like apricots or raisins instead of the mushrooms. Pine nuts would also be a great addition. You can take your favorite pilaf ingredients and use them with the quinoa. Easy peasy.
More Instant Pot Recipes
Instant Pot Sesame Ginger Rice – I don’t use my rice cooker anymore, rice comes out so perfect in the pressure cooker!
Instant Pot Pumpkin Pie Steel Cut Oats – sure you can have pumpkin pie for breakfast, especially with these healthy steel cut oats.
Instant Pot Rye Berries – Perfectly cooked rye berries! We use them in place of rice or as a side dish!
Instant Pot Strawberry Steel Cut Oats – the only way to cook steel cut oats! So easy!
For even more recipes, be sure and follow my Instant Pot Recipes Board on Pinterest.
Instant Pot Quinoa Pilaf
- 1 cup quinoa rinsed
- 1 cup water or broth
- 1 onion diced
- 8 oz mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté function and add the olive oil.
- Sauté the onions until softened about 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté until they release their liquid - about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté for about a minute or until fragrant.
- Add the quinoa and stir to coat and season with salt and pepper. Add the water and stir.
- Lock the lid in place and set the vent to sealing. Press off to turn off sauté and then press manual and set the time for 1 minutes.
- After the timer goes off, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes. Then move the vent to venting and let the pressure release. Unlock the lid, stir and adjust seasoning.