This easy grain bowl recipe is so delicious. The salmon with quinoa is paired with pickled red onions and crisp cucumbers. The quinoa gets a kick from ginger making it extra delicious! This salmon bowl is healthy and perfect for lunch or dinner.
Post may contain affiliate links, full disclosure on sidebar.
Easy Grain Bowl – Salmon with Ginger Quinoa
If you’ve followed me for any length of time, you know I love easy. I am not one to fuss about in the kitchen with laborious recipes. That’s why you won’t find any fussy layer cakes with three kinds of icing and a meringue whipped just so. You also won’t find those recipes that seem to be so popular now where you throw in everything but the kitchen sink, you know the ones that sound like Caramel Molasses Glazed Chicken with Lightly Toasted Coconut Pomegranate perils and Ginger Chile Spiced Avocado puree. Nope. You’re not going to find that here. What you will find here is simple, easy and flavorful. Like this easy grain bowl!
Pickled Red Onions Instead of Raw!
And once again, I turn to the queen of simple, easy and flavorful, Donna Hay. I can’t help it. She cooks the way I want to eat. I found this Salmon with Ginger Quinoa in the Feb/March 2015 issue. I love the way she spiced up the quinoa with garlic and ginger – hardly takes any work and makes a world of difference.
I changed a few things about the recipe. First of all she called for raw red onions, I don’t do raw onions, so I made a batch of Quick Pickled Onions. Anytime a recipe calls for raw onions, I make these. Usually I don’t even have to because I seem to always have a jar of them in the fridge. They are great in salads, topping for grilled meats, chicken or sausage, or even in sandwiches or on top of hamburgers or hotdogs. She also called for a cup of basil leaves. I had just planted my basil in the garden and I didn’t want to stress it out, so I omitted them.
Make this. Really.
Salmon with Ginger Quinoa
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons shredded ginger
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 3 green onions thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 salmon filets
- salt and black pepper
- 1 cucumber seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced (I used pickled red onions)
- 1 cup basil leaves (I omitted)
- lime wedge to serve
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Add the ginger and the garlic and cook for about 1 to 2 minutes. Add the quinoa and cook, stirring for about 10 minutes or until it's lightly toasted. Add the green onions and soy sauce and toss to combine.
- While the quinoa is cooking, heat the rest of the oil in a medium frying pan over high heat. Cook the salmon for 3-5 minutes per side to your desired degree of doneness. Divide the quinoa and the salmon between 4 plates. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add the cucumber and red onions and basil. Serve with a lime wedge.
Looking for more quinoa recipes: