Lemon-Rosemary Sorbet

Lemon-Rosemary Sorbet

Look at my picture and look at the title of the post. Yeah, I know, I garnished Lemon-Rosemary Sorbet with Thyme. It saddens me to say that by the time I ate this later in the day, I had completely forgotten what herb I used. I ran out snipped some fresh thyme, took the picture, ate the sorbet. It was not until I was doing the dishes that it dawned on my that I garnished a rosemary sorbet with thyme.

Oh well, at least there is no law against wrongful garnishing.

And thank goodness, because if there was, I would be one of those three strikes you’re out felons. Federal garnishing prison for me. I think that there is a certain skill in garnishing. So, that it almost looks like the garnish belongs, is a part of the dish, but yet, extra. Alas, that is a skill that I do not possess.

But one skill I do possess, is being able to chose recipes. I can’t make them up, but boy can I chose them. Like this Lemon-Rosemary Sorbet from Fine Cooking August/September 1996. This was so good. It was kind of like those frozen lemonades you buy when you’re walking around at a carnival, except better, way better. The rosemary flavor was subtle and gave just the right twist to the frozen lemon sorbet.

Lemon Rosemary Sorbet
Adapted from Fine Cooking

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh rosemary
1 1/3 cups fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons vodka (I used vanilla vodka)

In a pan, stir the water and sugar over medium high heat until the sugar dissolves and the it is simmering, about 5 minutes. Remove from the the heat.

Combine the warm syrup with the rosemary, lemon juice, and vodka. Stir to combine and let the mixture cool until room temperature. Strain the mixture to remove the rosemary leaves, and refrigerate until well chilled.

Process in your ice cream maker.

This will be my entry for this week’s Weekend Herb Blogging hosted by Graziana at Erbe in Cucina (Cooking with Herbs).

Comments

It’s funny, I was thinking just yesterday about how rosemary is one of my favorite herbs. And how versatile it is. This sounds great! And there are worse crimes than wrongful garnishing…overcooking a really good steak or a good piece of fish are some examples.

That okay, I do that stuff all the time!

This sorbet looks really terrific. I’ve never tried this flavor combo but I can tell that I would love it!

Garnishing crimes: At Thanksgiving, I have been known to be creative and make a cornucopia out of bread dough. Now, in order to do this, I have to decide to do it along about September, so I can save used foil to hold the thing up while it bakes. The last time I did it, 2 years ago, my 3rd son, ever the jokester, took two of the parsley sprigs I had arranged around the cornucopia and bread, and stuck them into the top of the bread, so it looked like deer antlers. *sigh* What we must endure from our children. Thankfully, there is no garnishing prison, or you might just find me there. After I try your sorbet.

first of all, vanilla vodka? mmm…
    secondly, and more importantly, what a treat! refreshing, refreshing, refreshing, and ROSEMARY. yum. :)

5. Pam says

Kathy – it really is refreshing.

Joanne – I know, rosemary is one of my favorites too.

Tins – Yes, do check and see, and make this if you can.

Girli – thank you!

Thyme makes a prettier garnish… rosemary would be a bit bulky for putting on such a cute sorbet dish. I’m just impressed that you garnish things for yourself! :)

hi pam! i’ve tried to look for the green tea sorbet recipe…but fell in love with this one ^_^

i think i know what i did wrong now ^_^ too much water!

i’m so gonna try this, thanks for sharing the recipe

8. Anonymous says

Good post and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you seeking your information.