Black Bean Soup

Black Bean Soup

You know sometimes people leave me nice comments about my photos.  And I appreciate them, I really do.  But I do so wish that I had time to do some actual styling.  But I don’t.  If I take to too long, my food gets cold, and hubby starts making unhappy sounds.

The picture above is a prime example of my pathetic skills.  I tried mixing the sour cream with a little milk and putting it in an empty squeeze bottle and making some sort of fancy swirl.  Didn’t work.  So, I artfully scattered some cilantro on top.  Sad, isn’t it.

Black Bean Soup

• 1 pound black beans, soaked over night
  • 8-10 cups water (depending on how soupy you like your beans)
  • 2 onions, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 ham hocks
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/2 to 1 cup chopped cilantro stems (leaves saved for garnish)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup sour cream, thinned with milk
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • chili infused vinegar

Combine beans, water, onions, garlic, ham hocks, bay leaves, thyme, and cilantro stems, and pepper in slow cooker.  Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.  About an hour before serving, remove ham hocks, shred the meat from the bones, and return meat to soup.  Taste and add salt if needed.  Garnish with sour cream and fresh cilantro, serve with chili infused vinegar.

This will be my entry for Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum!

AND

for Souper Sundays (Soup, Salad, or Sammie) hosted by Deb at Kahakai Kitchen.

Comments

I think you did a great job, Pam. And the recipe looks awesome, as well. I love black bean soup but haven’t ever made it. Now I will.

yea…it looks pretty good.
    I think that photographing food so that it looks tasty is very difficult. You really need to either eat it or photograph it…or eat it cold.

Pam – I love your sense of humor. I think the soup looks wonderful, but I do understand what you mean about taking the time to style your food. My family is extremely impatient when it comes to my picture taking.

I know what you mean. Although, you seem to work much better under pressure than I do. My honey is a great guy, but when it’s time to eat, it’s time to eat!

Your photographs of food are awesome! (Much like you, I often times have grand ideas…. but unlike you, mine do not come to fruition!) ;-)

Actually I like it looks good. You can see all three colors of the main ingredients that are there, and the white shows it off well. But I do have the same issues as you, as far as getting the time to style. My family has been patient with me on that! :D

I love black bean soup BTW and this looks great for this weekend. (Ha! I’ll have more time to style it for the photo)

Exactly! Those of us who are regular readers would LOVE to have that bowl put in front of us… and not for photographing, either. It looks yummy. Isn’t that the idea?

One thing I’ve been learning after writing (and photographing) a soup blog for almost a year is that it’s really, really hard to get a great photo of a bowl of liquid! No matter, if the taste is there. And with black bean soup you cannot go wrong.

Your artful efforts are better than mine. You only have one bigmouth hollering at you for hot food; I have a whole herd of them! I feel your frustration!

Sorry…. thing is… your pictures look great and appetizing…. you have nothing to worry about. Sometimes it’s good to just do food and not all the googaws around it… and good food has a style all its own!

If you haven’t noticed, I am about the worst “stylist” ever. And when I do try, I am certain people are saying…”oh look, the poor thing tried to style”. That cilantro on top makes me want to do a belly flop in that bowl of soup and dig in.

Oh Pam…You crack me up!! You are so entertaining..it wouldn’t matter how ugly it looked. And this doesn’t fit into that category. The soup looks scrumptious!

Have a wonderful day!
    Hugs, Nancy
    PS…updating next week, finally!

These sound good! I just posted my Frijoles Negros…recipes from Grandma DelValle, Bobby Flay, and my quick version (I cheat!). Grandma’s and mine are Cuban style…

I am going to give yours a try…
    Jane (artfully graced)

the good thing about black bean soup is that it doesn’t matter how hideous it may or may not look–it’s always delicious.

Thats why sometimes in the summer, I give the family first right to pass through the buffet line (of course I reserve the prettiest pieces) to eat while I’m styling and getting my pictures ready outside.

In the winter….not so much:)

Well, I think it looks very pretty…and very delicious! I think the kids and hubs are just so used to it now, that they don’t even expect food until I call them. Seriously. They used to hover and now I have to ring the dinner bell. Ha!!

I love black bean soup and I think it looks great–a styling masterpiece! ;-)

Thanks for sending it in to Souper Sundays–I have it in this week’s round up.

I use 4 cups of dried organic black beans for soup every week. Provides lots of energy and stamina. I am a certified organic grower of black beans, soft red wheat, and soybeans on 370 acres. The black beans are really great in that they can be used in so many recipes. I am taking orders for my remaining inventory and for new crop this summer too. Nick