Every once in awhile a recipe comes along that is perfect. Perfect for me is where the balance of ease and output leans heavily towards output. This recipe has that in spades. It was so easy and was amazing!! I don’t know about you, but I hate peeling shrimp before I cook them. One, so much of the flavor comes from those shells and shrimp cooked in their shells is so much better and two, peeling shrimp is time consuming – I’d much rather spread the work out amongst the eaters instead of it all falling on the cook.
So, when I went looking for an easy grilling recipe for shrimp, I was dead set on finding one with the shells left on. I found Garlic and Sea Salt Peel and Eat Shrimp in Grill Every Day: 125 Fast-Track Recipes for Weeknights at the Grill by Diane Morgan. I can not begin to tell you how good this was. The simple garlic, salt and oregano flavors paired perfectly with the shrimp. I will make this again, and again and again. Make this now. I’m not kidding.
- 3 large loves garlic
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- ¼ cup loosely packed fresh oregano leaves
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds large shrimp, in the shell, deveined
- Prepare a medium-high fire on your grill.
- In a small food processor fitted with a metal blade, combine the garlic, salt, and oregano and process until they are minced. With the machine running, slowly pour in the olive oil. Process until it is well blended.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons of the marinade for basting. In a large bowl toss the shrimp the remaining marinade.
- Oil the grill grate. Remove the shrimp from the marinade and arrange them directly over the fire. Grill turning once. (I just put them in a big grill basket and kind of tossed them around - I wasn't going to risk having one fall through the grate). Baste the shrimp with the reserved marinade as they grill. Transfer to serving bowl.
- Let the diners peel their own shrimp!
Disclaimer: Amazon links are affiliate links and I earn a small percentage if you click through and buy. Believe me, it barely covers a smidgen of my cookbook addiction!