Bees Knees Cocktail is a delicious classic gin cocktail with only 3 ingredients! Easy to prepare and easy to sip!
The Bees Knees Cocktail
Okay, remember the honey simple syrup that I posted about on Tuesday? I made it with this Bees Knees Cocktail specifically in mind. It had been awhile since I had a bees knees and it was calling to me.
Drinking a Bees Knees always reminds me of watching the old black white movies, where they said things like, "He's the bees knees" and 'isn't she just swell" and "he is the cat's pajamas."
I've made it a goal this year to try and make most of the well known prohibition cocktails. It's one of those made up tasks that I give myself. I enjoy it much more than the clean out the garage task and unlike the clean out the garage task, I'll probably complete this one!
Ingredients needed to make a Bees Knees Cocktail:
Honey Simple Syrup - equal parts honey and water, heated until honey is dissolved.
Gin - I used a local gin from Gate Eleven Distillery that has soft floral botanical notes. Use your favorite gin, something that you think would pair well with the honey.
Lemon - for fresh squeezed lemon juice.
How to Make a Bees Knees Cocktail:
- Put a coupe glass in the freezer to chill or fill it with ice.
- Measure 3/4 ounce of hones honey simple syrup and add to a cocktail shaker.
- Measure 2 ounces of gin and add to the cocktail shaker.
- Measure 3/4 ounce of lemon juice and add to the cocktail shaker. Note - before you squeeze the lemon, use a channel knife to remove several sections of lemon peel for garnish. I like to remove as much as possible and I store the extra peels in the freezer for whenever I need an extra lemon peel garnish.
- Add ice to the cocktail shaker about half full. Shake for about 10-20 seconds or until the cocktail shaker becomes frosty.
- Remove the coupe glass from the freezer or pour out the ice if you used that method to chill the glass.
- Strain cocktail into the coupe glass and garnish with the lemon twist.
This cocktail is so easy and so good! It has a soft floral flavor, it's richness depends on the kind of gin you use. The herbal floral notes from the gin, the floral earthy notes from the honey are all balanced by the citrus from the lemon juice. A perfectly balanced cocktail!
Delicious Gin Cocktails:
Hanky Panky Cocktail - also called the Fernet-Branca Cocktail.
Southside Cocktail - another easy gin cocktail this time with some mint!
Italian Gin and Tonic - with it's lovely orange color it makes a delicious fall cocktail.
Tart Cherry Negroni - a classic negroni with a fruity twist!
For even more be sure and follow my Gin Cocktails and Recipes Board on Pinterest.
Bees Knees Cocktail
- 2 ounces gin
- 3/4 ounce honey simple syrup
- 3/4 ounce lemon juice fresh squeezed
- lemon twist for garnish
- Chill a cocktail glass (preferably a coupe.)
- Add gin, honey simple syrup and lemon juice to cocktail shaker.
- Fill halfway with ice. Cover with top and shake for 10-15 seconds or until sides of shaker become frosty.
- Strain into chilled cocktail glass and garnish with a lemon twist.