Grilled chicken skewers rest atop a tomato salad with a minty lemony dressing in this Chicken Skewers with Mint and Lemon Dressing.
Post may contain affiliate links.
My favorite part of summer is food on a stick. Sure I guess you could make skewers in the winter in your oven, but it’s just not the same thing. Though I do admit that trying to turn skewers on a grill can be tricky, I am definitely not master at it. If you are looking for a way to turn your bumper crop of tomatoes into a wonderful light meal, this is it!
You basically make a tomato salad – if you look closely you’ll see that I used my favorite Quick Pickled Onions in place of the raw onions. I no longer omit raw onions from salad, I just quick pickle them! Make a to-die-for mint and lemon dressing. Skewer some chicken pieces, grill them, and serve atop the tomato salad with a pita bread.
To eat, we just tore off chunks of pita bread, scooped in some tomato salad, topped with the chicken and a drizzle of the dressing. So good!! This goodness comes from Donna Hay Magazine issue #53, Oct/Nov 2010.
Chicken Skewers with Mint and Lemon Dressing
- 4 boneless chicken breasts chopped (I used boneless thighs)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 4 vine-ripened tomatoes chopped
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 red onion sliced (I used Quick Pickled Onions)
- 4 pita breads
- Mint and Lemon Dressing
- 1 cup thick natural yogurt
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Make the mint and lemon dressing by combining the yogurt, mint, garlic and lemon juice is a small bowl and set aside.
- Place the chicken, 2 tablespoons each lemon juice and oil, garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl and set aside for 5 minutes. Thread the chicken on skewers. Set aside.
- Place the tomato, parsley, onion, remaining oil and lemon juice in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat a char-grill pan or a barbecue over high heat. Grill the skewers for 3-4 minutes per side or until cooked through. Grill the pita bread for about a minute or until golden. Arrange the skewers and the pita bread on plates, top with tomatoes and drizzle with dressing.