The Chicken, Sweet Potatoes and Olive Tapenade is a simple one pan roast chicken with sweet potatoes that gets a tangy kick from the olive tapenade!
Post may contain affiliate links, full disclosure on sidebar.
Easy Sheet Pan Supper
Is there anything nicer than a dinner that cooks all in one pan? I love sheet pan or one pan dinners. Here the chicken and sweet potatoes roast together.
This simple roast chicken is kicked up a notch with a green olive tapenade! The beauty of that is you can leave it off if that makes the dinner more kid friendly. Though as a kid, I loved green olives and still do, so kid friendly to me would have been with the tapenade. Even extra tapenade!
Roasted Chicken and Sweet Potatoes with Olive Tapenade
The combination of the crispy roast chicken skin, the sweetness of the potatoes and the tartness of the olives is amazing! In this recipe I roast a whole chicken, spatchcocked (removed the backbone and flattened.)
Main steps to make this Roast Chicken and Sweet Potatoes with Olive Tapenade.
- Spatchcock the chicken by using poultry shears to remove the backbone and then press on the breast to flatten.
- Roast the chicken for 15 minutes and then add the sweet potatoes to the sheet pan.
- While the chicken is roasting, make the olive tapenade.
- Serve the chicken and potatoes with the olive tapenade.
I found this recipe in an older Donna Hay Magazine.
Chicken, Sweet Potatoes and Olive Tapenade
- 1 ½ pounds sweet potatoes peeled and cut into wedges
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 whole chicken about 4-5 pounds, spatchcocked (backbone removed and bird flattened)
- 1 cup green olives
- ½ cup parsley leaves chopped
- ¼ cup tarragon leaves chopped
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 450. In a small bowl, mix together the garlic, 1 tablespoon of oil, salt and pepper. Brush over the chicken. Place the chicken, breast side up on a baking sheet. Roast in the oven for 15 minutes.
- In a medium bowl toss together the sweet potatoes, 2 tablespoons of oil and salt and pepper. Remove baking sheet from the oven and spread the potatoes around the chicken. Place back in the oven and roast for 30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- While the chicken is roasting, in a small bowl combine the olives, parsley, tarragon, vinegar, remaining oil and salt and pepper.
- Serve the chicken and potatoes with the olive mixture spooned over the top.