I don't know about you, but the old memory is not what it used to be. That's why I love simple cocktails like a negroni. Not only is it only 3 ingredients, but it's 3 equal parts of those ingredients (though some play around with that.)
It's easy to remember. 1 part gin, 1 part Campari and 1 part Vermouth.
It's also easy to play around with, like a Negroni Sbagliato, where you substitute a sparkling wine for the gin! You can also just add another ingredient, for this Tart Cherry Negroni, I just added an equal part tart cherry juice - so yummy!
Not surprisingly, I was very intrigued when I heard of a White Negroni! It turns a negroni on it's head with Lillet Blanc and Suze stepping in for the Campari and the Vermouth!
Just look at that gorgeous color - and it tastes as amazing as it looks!
Ingredients for a white negroni.
- Suze - is a bitter French aperitif . It is made from gentian root. When you start making a lot of cocktails, you'll find that you also start collecting different bitter liqueurs and aperitifs, like Campari and Fernet Branca. For more info on Suze, here is an interesting article from Bon Appétite - What is Suze?
- Lillet Blanc - A floral, fruity aperitif wine.
- Gin - for this we used a Plymouth Gin - which gives it more floral and cucumber notes.
- Lemon - twist for garnish. Try to buy organic since you'll be dropping the lemon peel into your drink. Squeeze the juice and either store it in the fridge or freezer for your next cocktail using lemon juice - perhaps a New York Whiskey Sour?
This negroni is built in glass - meaning that the ingredients are added to the glass and then stirred - no need for a cocktail shaker! Some versions of the recipe have you shake it in a cocktail shaker with ice and then strain it into a coupe glass.
I like my negroni's over ice, so I went with the built in glass method, you can use whichever one you prefer.
You'll need 1 1/2 ounces of gin and 1 1/2 ounces of Lillet Blanc.
With only 1/2 ounce of Suze, this recipe veers a little off the classic equal parts. We'll have to try and share some other Suze cocktails and let you decide what you think about it, we love it!
Add ice to a rock's glass and pour in the gin, Lillet Blanc and Suze. Stir for about 30 seconds to properly chill and dilute the cocktail.
Garnish with a lemon twist.
This was so good! If you'll notice the photos, you'll see two different glasses, that's because we had it twice in one week! Easy 3 ingredient, build in glass cocktails for the win!
I'll be filling out my cocktail recipes with some Suze Cocktails and some Lillet Blanc Cocktails so you can make use of those bottles that you bought!
More tempting gin cocktails.
You'll find several gin cocktails in this collection of Pretty Pink Cocktails.
Spice up your cocktails with this Spicy Verde Gin Gimlet.
Another favorite 3 ingredient cocktail is the Bees Knees.
- 1 1/2 ounces gin
- 1 1/2 ounces Lillet Blanc
- 1/2 ounce Suze
- Lemon twist for garnish
- Fill a rock's glass about 3/4 full of ice.
- Add gin, Lillet Blanc and Suze to glass.
- Stir for about 30 seconds to chill and properly dilute.
- Garnish with a lemon twist.