Pickled Rosemary Carrots

This post is about 2 food events.  One I can do, and one I can’t.  Let’s begin with what I can do.  As most of you do, I spend an inordinate amount of time reading blogs, and one of the things I kept noticing was Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum.  And I thought, hey, I do food.  I do food on Friday.  Why am I not doing Foodie Friday?  There was no good answer to that question, so here I am.  It’s Friday, here is my food.

Now, on to the food even that I can’t do, The Tigress’ Can Jam.  This is a canning challenge, where every month a new ingredient is spotlighted. I want to improve my canning, and the only way to do that is practice, practice, practice, so this was perfect.  Only one prob.  I was too late to sign up.  So, I’m doing it anyway.  Private like.  January was citrus, missed that, because, of course, I was too late.  February was carrots and here they are!

If you are new to canning, I highly recommend beginning with something pickled.  It’s so easy, it’s all water bathed and with some vinegar, some pickling salt and spices and a few veggies, you are ready to go.  I chose Pickled Rosemary Carrots from:

Well Preserved: Small Batch Preserving for the New Cook

I can’t tell you if these are good or not, because I’m letting them age a little.  Most pickles improve with a little age on them.  Aren’t they pretty?

Now, I’m not going to go into deep canning specifics, you really need a book or a good website for that.  But it is not difficult.  Really, I had these done in under an hour.  The more you do, the better you get and the faster you get.  You don’t have to keep looking up how to do anything.  Also, I halved the recipe because I only had 2 pounds of carrots.

Pickled Rosemary Carrots

• 3 cups water
  • 3 cups vinegar
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup pickling salt
  • 2 T. mixed peppercorns
  • 6 cloves garlic, peeled
  • 6 hot chili peppers, preferably red
  • 4 pounds carrots, peeled, cut into sticks about 4 inches by 1/2 inch
  • six 3-inch sprigs of fresh rosemary

Prepare preserving jars per canning directions.  Combine the water, vinegar, sugar, salt and peppercorns in a pot.  Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes.

Working with 1 jar at a time, place 1 clove of garlic and 1 chili pepper into each hot, sterilized jar.  Pack the carrots in tightly, standing them upright.  Slide one sprig of rosemary into the jar.  Carefully pour the vinegar solution into the jars, leaving a 1/4 inch head space.  Release air bubbles and wipe the rims clean.  Top with lid and band (per canning instructions).  Process the jars in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes.

Makes 5 to 6 pint jars.

Comments

Carrots are one of my favorite veggies, but I’ve never pickled them. They look like a very tasty, healthy snack and a great addition to a relish try.

Happy Foodie Friday

Pam… your pickled carrots look awesome! And I know they will be delicious when you try them. How could they not, looking like that.

I need to try pickling some carrots, too. Thanks for a great recipe…

Carrots sure do make for a beautiful, colorful display in a jar. I have never canned carrots. Also love your photo a day page. I am finding myself looking forward to that post daily.

Everytime I see Foodie Friday I think about it. Problem is, I don’t always do a post on Fridays! Try to do one every 5 days or so. This won’t work for me.
    But the canning will work. Not that I need to be tied down to a day or date, but I can do what you did…on my own when I have time. So I read your post with interest. I think the carrots will be great pickled! I may just try this!

Well, was there a law saying you can’t participate in some event sort of private-like? I don’t think so. And when the result is as pretty as those carrots, they should extend the invitation sort of special-like to you!

The carrots look beautiful in the jars! I bought some canning supplies this past summer. I started reading about canning and safety and got scared off. I returned it all the next day :(

I think we will do the pickled carrots as our Saturday Activity. We are throwing a “Luau” tonight and I have to tell you… The food is smelling AWESOME!!! I’m glad the weather decided to cooperate!

Your carrots look beautiful and will look so pretty on your pantry shelf. You should think of enter your canning in the county fair if you have one in your area.
    Mimi

dill-pickled carrots, i like. rosemary-pickled carrots? frankly, that sounds even better.
    meanwhile, deadlines stink–sorry you missed the canning-challenge boat but i’m glad you’re playing anyway!

Canning is a production! We have the equipment, as my wife was a country girl- but you gotta be ready to make a lot to be worth the effort! I barter with my sister-in-law for canned goodies!

Wow, even if I wasn’t interested in food, which I certainly am, I would come here just to ooh and ahh at your fantastic photos. I get really inspired looking at them. I’ve always wanted to start canning food. I have dozens of glass canning jars, but they are just sitting in the cupboard holding food stuff like rice and popcorn :(
    Have a wonderful weekend.
    Maureen

I think I would get just as much enjoyment from looking at these stacked up in the pantry. Very nice! I know I would enjoy eating them.