Harissa adds lots of spicy flavor to this Harissa Chicken with Olives. Post may contain affiliate links.
Well, apparently this is harissa week at Sidewalk Shoes! I share with you on Monday, Harissa Roasted Squash. Today, I am sharing what I served along side that squash, Harissa Roasted Chicken with Olives. I love to marry flavors when I planning my side dishes to go along with my main dishes or vice versa. Since my menus in the summer are driven by what I receive from my CSA, this one started with the squash. After deciding on the squash, I went looking for a roasted chicken recipe that also had harissa in it. Like Monday, I settle on Donna Hay! Her Harissa Roasted Chicken with Olives from issue #57 (Jun/Jul 2011), to be exact. I think that harissa paste is fast becoming one of my favorite condiments. I know there are recipes to make you own and that is next on my list. Has anyone made their own?
The recipe called for using smaller roma tomatoes and the photo in the magazine shows this gorgeous sprig of tomatoes still on the vine. That would have made a lovely photo, but again, I had to use what my CSA gave me and they gave me regular tomatoes, so I cut them into wedges. Not as pretty, but still tasty! This was so good. Warm and spicy with the surprising tartness of the olives. I used a variety of fancy schmancy olives from the olive bar and they were outstanding (except note to self – try and get more pitted ones). The dish is served with a fresh gremolata, which unfortunately I forgot to sprinkle on before I took the photos. It really livens up the dish and adds a level of freshness. I will be making this recipe again and again, I assure you!
- 8 chicken thighs, bone in and trimmed
- 8 cloves garlic, unpeeled (mine were peeled)
- 1 cup mixed olives
- 1/4 cup of tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon harissa paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- salt and cracked black pepper
- 14 oz of roma tomatoes (preferably on the vine)
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon shredded lemon zest
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Make the gremolata by combining the ingredients in a bowl, and then set aside.
- Place the chicken, garlic and olives in a large baking dish. Combine the harissa, sugar, and stock and spoon over the chicken, garlic and olives. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover tightly with foil and roast for one hour. Increase the temperature to 400. Uncover and add the tomatoes and roast for an additional 30 minutes. Serve with the gremolata.
I will be linking to:
Linky Party @ Lou Lou Girls
In and Out of the Kitchen @ Feeding Big
The Hearth and Soul Hop @ The 21st Century Housewife
Delicious Dish Tuesday @ Full Time Mama
Tasty Tuesdays @ Anyonita Nibbles
Full Plate Thursday @ Miz Helen’s Country Cottage