The tenderest, most flavorful chicken ever!! An amazing marinade of harissa and yogurt makes chicken so tender with just the right amount of spice! Everyone loves this chicken and you’ll love how easy it is!
Yogurt Marinated Chicken
Have you discovered the joy that is yogurt marinated chicken? The calcium in the yogurt breaks down some of the proteins in the chicken, making it so tender.
How long to marinate chicken in yogurt – you only need about two hours to get the benefits of the yogurt marinade.
If you don’t have the full two hours to marinade the chicken, don’t worry. I’ve just slashed the chicken and applied the yogurt and harissa and baked it. You don’t get the full benefits of the tenderizing qualities of the yogurt, but you still get plenty of flavor!
Ingredients in Harissa and Yogurt Chicken
- Bone in Chicken Thighs – or a combination of legs and thighs.
- Corn Starch
- Plain Yogurt – full fat is preferred.
- Harissa Paste – this is the brand I use – Mina Harissa.
- Mint – can omit if fresh mint is not in season.
- Ground Cumin
- Salt and Black Pepper
How to Make Harissa Yogurt Chicken
- This recipe is so easy!
- You simply slash the chicken by making deep slits with a knife (this allows the marinade to penetrate even more.)
- Mix together all of the marinade ingredients – cornstarch, yogurt, harissa, mint, cumin, salt and black pepper.
- Spread the marinade over the chicken and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours or up to overnight.
- Bake at 400 for 35 to 45 minutes.
Note – this marinade also works great on a whole roasted chicken!
This Chicken is Amazing!
I can not say enough good things about this chicken! First of all, it’s crazy easy. Just mix up the marinade, slash the chicken and spread the marinade on it. Let it marinate for up to 24 hours, or if you don’t have time to marinate, don’t worry, it’s still so good.
The chicken becomes so tender and flavorful. It’s so moist and bakes to a beautiful golden yellow color. This will become your go-to easy chicken recipe!
Looking for more Harissa Recipes
I’d love it if you followed my Sidewalk Shoes Pinterest Board to see all the recipes that I’m pinning!
Harissa and Yogurt Baked Chicken
- 8 bone in thighs
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon harissa
- 1/3 cup mint shredded
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Make deep slits over the chicken pieces. Blend together the cornstarch, yogurt, harissa, mint, cumin, and salt and pepper. Spread the mixture over both sides of the chicken.
- If you can - marinate in the refrigerator for 2-24 hours.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes in a 400 degree oven.
- Serve warm or cold with a green salad and a squeeze of lemon.
The inspiration for this recipe comes from a recipe found in an old Donna Hay cookbook that is no longer in print.
This post was originally published in 2014 and updated for 2019.