Lamb and Harissa make a spicy base for this fresh spinach topped pizza in this Harissa Lamb and Spinach Pizza. Post may contain affiliate links.
Harissa Lamb and Spinach Pizza
I know. More harissa! What can I say? I love it! This is my third harissa post this week! I began with Harissa Roasted Squash, then Harissa Chicken with Olives, and now this fantastic Harissa Lamb and Spinach Pizza. If nothing else, it shows you that you can use Harissa with just about everything!
This recipe came from Donna Hay’s Magazine Issue #61, February/March 2012, the print version. I know I’ve said it before, but in case you missed it. I urge you to get Donna Hay’s donna hay magazine for your iPad. I have a few cooking magazine apps on my iPad and Donna Hay’s is the best hands down. The magazine is gorgeous, there is a recipe index with a photo of each recipe and there are even little videos peppered throughout the magazine. Love it!
There is so much I love about this pizza. Before I get to the Donna Hay part of it, I have to mention the pizza dough. I am now the proud parent of a sourdough starter named Ethel. Ethel is feisty and bubbly. When it comes time to feed her, I have some of her that needs to be discarded. Boo. So, I searched around and found Sourdough Crumpets, and while I was finding that, I also found Sourdough Pizza Crust. I made two batches of the dough in my bread machine and stored them in the freezer. I pulled out defrosted one of the bags of dough for this pizza. OMG. It was the best pizza crust ever! Light and crispy. I show you the photo above (before being topped with spinach) so that you can see the big pizza crust bubbles! I will do a whole post on the pizza dough, so for right now, let’s focus back on this particular pizza. To help get this gorgeous crust, I use a pizza peel, parchment paper and a pizza stone.
Again, Donna Hay never ceases to amaze me with her fresh, simple flavors. The lamb is crisp and spicy. The provolone cheese is creamy and rich (and actually there was supposed to be 2 cups of mozzarella cheese on this and I totally forgot it – and it was till fantastic!). The spinach topping is almost like a deconstructed spinach pesto. The tartness from the lemons and the earthiness from the spinach and the pine nuts pairing beautifully with the pizza! This was seriously amazing and I will be making it again and again!
Harissa Lamb and Spinach Pizza
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 2 tablespoons harissa paste I only used one, but two would have been fine
- pizza dough for one large or 4 small
- 2 cups mozzerella grated
- 1 cup provolone shaved
- flat-leaf parsley
- lemon zest
- 2 tbsp pine nuts toasted
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice fresh
- Preheat oven to 425. (I always use 500 and watch the pizza carefully).
- Mix the lamb with the harissa and salt and pepper. Heat a large non-stick skillet over high heat and add the lamb. Break up the clumps with a wooden spoon and cook until browned - about 5 minutes.
- Divide the 2 cups of mozzarella, lamb, and provolone between the pizzas. Cook for 15 minutes (start checking at 10, especially if doing the higher 500).
- Combine the parsley, lemon zest, toasted pine nuts, baby spinach leaves and the olive oil and lemon juice. Notice there are no measurements here other than the lemon juice and olive oil. I just used about a 3/4 bag of spinach and about 1/2 cup of parsley leaves. Just use your own judgement, you can't mess it up! Scatter on top of the pizza.