When Heather, at Girlichef, reminded me that today was National Margarita Day, I knew I was on-board with all kinds of celebrating! Since I had just returned from the grocery store with a bag of luscious blood oranges, I knew what was on the list. I wanted something that would showcase all the lovely deep red color and that sweetness of the juice.
I immediately started googling blood orange margaritas. I found one from Food and Wine, Blood Orange Margaritas, that has already been scaled for 12! So, if you are having a party, go for it! But since it was just the hubs and I, I thought that probably wouldn’t be a good idea. Oh, it might seem like a good idea at the time! I found a frozen Blood Orange Margarita from Ina. While I love a good frozen margarita, in the winter, I prefer mine on the rocks – and I had just gotten these cute large square ice cubes that I wanted to use! So, I finally settled on this basic, Blood Orange Margarita from Chow. Nothing fancy and the ratio was easy to remember.
Can I just say that this was the best margarita that I’ve ever had! It was sweet and tart and perfectly balanced. A little bit of tequila heat, but so smooth. Hmmm…maybe that recipe that serves 12 is not such a bad idea!
Make this margarita:
- Kosher salt for the rim of the glass
- lime wedge
- 1 1/2 ounces of silver (blanco) tequila
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed blood orange juice
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup
- 1/4 ounce Cointreau
- Rub rim of margarita glass with lime wedge and dip rim into salt. Hold glass at the angle you like to put as much salt on as you prefer.
- Put the rest of the ingredients in a cocktail shaker and fill about half way with ice. Place the lid on the top and shake vigorously for about 20 seconds.
- Pour into the salt-rimmed margarita glass and serve with the lime wedge.
Please check out what all these other bloggers are doing for National Margarita Day!
- Blood Orange Margarita from Sidewalk Shoes
- Blood Orange Margarita from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Caramelized Grapefruit Margarita from girlichef
- Cinnamon Orange Margarita from Sweet Life
- Cool Margarita Mule from Peaceful Cooking
- Iced Coffee Margarita from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Mango Margarita from La Cocina de Leslie
- Minty Papaya Margarita with Chile de Arbol Spice from Nibbles and Feasts
- Pomelo Margaritas from Food Lust People Love
- Winter Pomelo Ginger Margarita from Muy Bueno Cookbook
- Blood Orange Margarita Jello Shots from The Spiffy Cookie
- Pink Cadillac Margarita Cupcakes from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Salted Margarita Shortbread from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Strawberry Lime Margarita Cupcakes from Wishes and Dishes
- Strawberry Lime Aide Margarita Popsicles from Simply Healthy Family
I am also linking up with:
Tipsy Tuesdays @ Grey is the New Black
Thursty Thursday @ Hopelessly Every After