This homemade chocolate liqueur is so easy to make and so delicious! Rich and decadent, it's perfect for sipping and it makes a great gift! Time does all of the work!
Why Make Homemade Chocolate Liqueur?
If you've checked out my Infusions Category, you know that this is nothing I like more than infusing some alcohol.
It's because, for the most part, time does all the work! There might be a little prep work at the beginning and maybe some straining at the end, but the hardest part is the waiting for the infusion.
Not only are homemade infusions not that much work, they taste so much better than store bought! The flavors are rich and fresh and you know the ingredients that you are using.
So, yes, you can go out and buy chocolate liqueur, but with only 4 ingredients and a little time, you can have the best chocolate liqueur that you've ever tasted!
Ingredients in Homemade Chocolate Liqueur
- Vodka - use your favorite vodka, or like me, use whatever you have on had. There are gluten free options out there if you need gluten free.
- Cocao nibs - I use organic. You'll have some leftover. These are great on cereal or oatmeal, sprinkled on yogurt or pudding.
- Sugar - I used regular white sugar.
- Vanilla Extract - I used homemade.
How to Make Chocolate Liqueur
Step One - pour your vodka and cacao nibs into a lidded glass jar. Put in a cool, dark place. Shake it occasionally if you happen to remember!
Step Two - after 8 days, retrieve your lovely chocolate infused vodka. Note - if you stop at this point you will have chocolate infused vodka.
Step Three - make a rich simple syrup by combining 1 1/2 cups of sugar with 1 cup of water in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and let cool.
Step Four - add the cooled simple syrup and the vanilla extract to the vodka. Let it steep for one more day.
Step 5 - Strain through a fine mesh strainer. I strain again through a cheese cloth to get it even more clear.
Step 6 - Pour into a bottle with a lid.
Homemade Chocolate Liqueur should last about 2-3 months, it does not need to be refrigerated.
This Homemade Chocolate Liqueur is amazing. So good. It would be great in so many things like coffee, hot chocolate and just for sipping! I love it in a Chocolate Martini and these Chocolate Dessert Shots!
More Infusion Recipes that Make Great Gifts!
Cherry Bourbon - amazing cherry flavor!
Blackberry Liqueur - preserve the fresh taste of summer!
Homemade Limoncello - make double so you can keep some, like sunshine in a bottle.
Vanilla Infused Rum - everyone loves this one!
Cranberry Liqueur - gorgeous color and amazing flavor!
Homemade DIY Chocolate Liqueur
- Combine cocoa nibs and vodka in a jar with a lid. Shake and let steep for 8 days.
- Bring the sugar and water to a boil. Let it cool and then add it and the vanilla extract to the vodka. Let steep for one more day.
- Strain the nibs and filter through a coffee filter into a bottle.
This post was originally published in 2015 and has been update for 2019.