Pizza Dough – Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day

Pizza

Just one example of what you can do with this dough!

I am about to share with you my new, most very favorite, recipe in the world. This recipe has turned my life around. What? Maybe the ability to have fabulous, homemade pizza any night of the week is not a life changing experience for you, but for me, it’s at the top.

Dough

Just mixed.

I love pizza, I adore pizza. If left to my own devices, I could quite possibly eat pizza every night of the week. So, having a bucket of pizza dough in my fridge at all times, ready to turn into whatever pizza I want, is a dream come true. And since my other dreams of world peace and winning the lottery aren’t happening anytime soon, this will do.

You will find this miracle in Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois. Before you read on, you must promise me to go get the book right now. Seriously, you will not regret it. I have only made two things from it, the basic bread and the pizza. I can’t help it, they are that good, I just keep making them over and over. But there is also: European Peasant Bread, Deli-Style Rye, Limpa, Pumpernickel, Light Whole Wheat, Bagels, Pretzels…and more and more and more.

Risen

A couple of hours later.

The concept is simple. You mix your dough in a big bucket or container. I just stir it up with a big wooden spoon. Then let it sit on your counter top for about 2 hours as it rises. Once it has risen and then deflated slightly, you store it in the fridge, loosely covered. When you are ready to bake, bring it out, cut off a lump, roll or shape, rise (if needed) and bake. That’s it. It’s genius, really.

Olive Oil Dough
From Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day
(makes about 4 pizzas)

2 3/4 cups lukewarm water
1 1/2 tablespoons granulated yeast
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
6 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

Mix the water, yeast, salt, sugar and olive oil in a 5-quart, lidded container (or bowl).

Mix the flour in, without kneading. Use a wooden spoon, a stand mixer, or a food processor.

Cover, not airtight, and let sit at room temperature for about 2 hours, until the dough rises and then flattens on top.

Store in the fridge, keep it covered, but not air tight, and use within 12 days.

On the day you are going to make pizza, bring the dough out of the fridge. Dust the surface of the dough with some flour and pull off a one pound chunk (using a serrated knife or kitchen shears), this is about grapefruit size. Put the rest of the dough back in the fridge to be used another day. Using floured hands quickly shape into a ball and then roll out, just like you roll any other pizza dough. Using flour when needed to keep it from sticking. There is no need for it to rest, you can proceed directly with your pizza recipe!

Comments

Your pizza looks amazing. I did buy this book and had to give it away or I’d have gained weight at an alarming rate. I adore pizza and breads of any kind and having such easy access to such great stuff was more than I could manage.

Excellent! I was hoping you would post about how the dough is made. Having family over on Friday for a housewarming – this is definitely on the menu.

Steve
    travelthelongwayround.blogspot.com

Wow Pam, the pizza does look fabulous!! We(me and hubby dear) totally agree with you, if we have pizza dough in my fridge and know that I can make pizza anytime of the day everyday, it does turn my life around :). My husband will love you for giving me this recipe!! I already have a recipe that can be stored for 3 days, but 12 days is good!! I just have a question, I do not have a stand mixer or a food processor, my hands are my best tools! So when you say just mix up the dough with a wooden spoon, it that it, I mean don’t I have to use my hands to at least bring the dough together?? Please do answer when you find time, eagerly waiting to try out this recipe!!

This will be on my list to make over the holidays for sure. I love pizza too!
    I sure hope smudge wins because he sure deserves it.

I’m going to have to try this one. I made pizza dough for the first time this week and used Alton Browns recipe off foodnetwork.com and it had to sit in the fridge for 24 hours and I felt like it didn’t really rise and I couldn’t get it to stretch out that much. It was tasty though. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for sharing the Olive Oil Dough recipe! I make the basic 5-Minute dough and cut the yeast in half. Means a longer initial rise, but the flavor is so much better!

I love pizza also Pam–but never make it at home. I’m going to have to get with the program!!!!! ha… Yours looks fabulous…

I am one who love alot of crust–and I love that stuffed crust you get at places like Pizza Hut. YUM!!!!

Our favorite restaurant pizza though is Cafe Uno in Maryville. They have Chicago Pizza and it is SUPER.

Hugs,
    Betsy

Ooohh… what a fabulous recipe! I could eat pizza for breakfast lunch and dinner, but this recipe has given me an additional idea for cheese straws…
    I’ll let you know how they turn out!

I love the AB5 Olive Oil dough! It’s so versatile. Next time, try adding 1/2 c. mashed potato, takes the dough to an entirely different level…so good!

Okay, this is just awesome! I was craving pizza tonight but there was just no way in heck I was going to pay thirty bucks for a couple of mediocre pies so I went with something else and it really didn’t hit the spot the way pizza would have.

I can’t wait to try this!

I LOVE ABinFive/HBinFive. I wonder if the HBinFive dough is as good as this one is. Taste test comparison? I think will be necessary.

It looks so delicious in that pizza! My dream is to have homemade bread every day…and now THAT is possible as well. Crazy world in which we live.

It’s impossible to find a pizza like this and we love it so much, thank you for sharing, my family will be so happy with this dough pizza

Pizza recipes… Didin’t know they existed. I just use whatever leftovers I have around the house… If I need Artichole hearts for something, a few days later, if I didn’t use all that I bought, I have a peperoni and artichoke hearts pizza. Same with pulled pork, ribs (the meat only, not the bones, chicken and turkey have all made appearances on a pizza in the last month.

I do have a grill technique that would work great with this dough, as well as a dessert pizza idea for you…

14. Anonymous says

So the big deal is that you refrigerate some of a basic dough recipe for later use? I’m underwhelmed.

15. Anonymous says

I suggest to use honey, any kind, instead of suger, that’s the way I do it,the dough is much sweeter.

Thanks for posting this. I’m buying the book(s.. bread one too), but I’ve just discovered the book on the internet today and have to make it NOW, lol.