Herbed Vinegars

Thyme

If you live in the United States, you may have noticed a change this week.  A slight chill in the air in the morning, the sounds of football emanating from the tv set for hours and hours, the vee’s of ducks and geese flying over head, the sound of me complaining that I’m back to school and tired.

Vinegar

Like the squirrels, I am storing away for winter.  I face the task of what to do with all this bounty, NOW.  Answer, herb vinegars.  I’ve mentioned them lots.

Basil

One of my very favorites is Honey Herb Vinegar, this is always the first one I run out of.  I use it in place of balsamic and anytime I want a sweet, syrupy vinegar.  Another one I use all the time, is Hot Chili  Pepper Vinegar.  This get drizzled on almost every soup and stew I make.

Rice Vinegar

A super easy vinegar is your basic herb vinegar.  Any herb will do, but one of my favorites is basil.  There is nothing like a little splash of basil vinegar to bring back summer memories all winter long.  My technique comes from The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving: Over 300 Recipes to Use Year-Roundmy all-time favorite preserving book.

Basil Vinegar

• 2 cups vinegar (white wine, red wine, rice, white or cider)
  • 1/2 cup fresh herbs (rosemary, sage, tarragon, thyme, basil, parsley, chives and chive blossoms, mint, dill, oregano) or 3 tbsp dried

Bring vinegar to a boil.

Crush or bruise fresh herbs. Place the herbs in a clean jar and pour in the vinegar.  Cover and steep in a sunny location for two weeks or longer.

Taste occasionally and when it is your desired strength, strain the vinegar and pour into a clean jar with a tight fitting lid.  Add a fresh sprig of the herb to the jar if you’d like (I don’t). Store in the refrigerator.

Makes 2 cups.

This will be my entry for Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum!

Comments

Good Morning, Pam,
    Yes, back to school…and tired. No kidding?!

This looks so interesting. A possibility for what to do with the herbs growing out back, and my mom’s jars in the garage.

TGIF ~Natalie

Basil vinegar. I’m pretty sure I need that. I’m already starting to feel Seasonal Affective Disorder kick in and I, in the depths of winter, I’m really going to need some remnants of summer to get me through!

I’m going to have to get me that book. I’ve got a beautiful batch of lemon thyme growing. I’m going to use it for some vinegar. I’ve about picked my basil clean. Maybe it will get enough leaves back to use it too.

I’ve been struggling out of bed at 7AM for 3 days now, to send Ryan off to high school. I’m a night owl, and this is killing me! And none of those 3 days has been a sunny day, so I can’t even steep your vinegar!

What a great idea! It’s cooler here this morning too – 62 right now. That’s almost a 20 degree difference from this time yesterday. Yahoo!

How do you find room in your fridge for all the vinegars you would be making? I have a rosemary bush (it’s gotten to bush size) that needs some triming.. and I wonder about my lavender? too sweet?

You know, I love herb vinegars and am now even getting into herb syrups which are great with all variety of things (NYT had a chamomile one that is heaven). It’s a great way of having a little summer in the winter!

I like this idea, especially for incorporation into BBQ sauces for something different. It’s one of those subtle differences.

this is totally random (but not really, since i just did a post pondering pronunciations), but do you or does anyone you know pronounce the h in herb? i get tickled when i hear british folks say it. i also get tickled when i meet someone named herb–funny.
    all that said, great idea!

Trackbacks