Cheesy arugula pesto topped with fresh tomatoes make an easy pizza that everyone will love!
Arugula, ricotta, smoked mozzarella and garlic make an amazing pesto (so good you'll want to use it on everything) and makes this arugula pizza simply amazing!
Just look at this cheesy arugula pizza! It is every bit as good as it looks.
Using store bought pizza dough, you can have this pizza on the table in minutes! The perfect weeknight pizza!
I started making this recipe in 2012, when I first found it in a Giada cookbook (link in recipe card.)
- Ricotta cheese - you can use whole or skim.
- Smoked Mozzarella - you can use regular mozzarella, but you won't get that amazing smoky flavor!
- Arugula - you could also use spinach, but it won't have that bite from arugula.
- Pizza dough - store bought or try my Bread Machine Pizza Dough or my 5 Minutes a Day Artisan Pizza Dough.
- Tomatoes - plum or roma tomatoes are recommended, however any tomatoes will work. If they are really juicy, you might want to let them drain a bit.
- Garlic, salt and pepper.
Step by Step Instructions.
Preheat the oven to 475.
Sprinkle a baking sheet with cornmeal or line with parchment (or you can use a pizza stone.) If using a stone, place it in the oven to preheat along with the oven.
Process the ricotta, garlic, salt and pepper in a food processor until smooth.
Add the mozzarella and arugula and process it until it is combined, but is still a little chunky.
Roll out the pizza dough until it is about 14 inches wide and about ⅛ to ¼ inch thick. If your dough is sticky, flour the surface before rolling.
Spread the ricotta cheese mixture on the pizza leaving about an inch border.
Add the thinly sliced tomatoes and drizzle with olive oil.
Bake for 15-16 minutes or until the crust is golden and the cheese is bubbly!
This was so good. I love the way you make this wonderful cheesy pesto, and then spread it over the pizza.
You can see in the instructions that you are supposed to slice some tomatoes, all I had was cherry tomatoes. Looks a little odd, but it still tasted amazing!
**As an Amazon affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Arugula Pesto, Ricotta, and Smoked Mozzarella Pizza
- Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F. Sprinkle a heavy baking sheet (without sides) with cornmeal. Set aside.
- In a food processor, blend the ricotta, garlic, salt, and pepper until smooth. Add the smoked mozzarella and arugula. Pulse until just combined but still chunky.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the dough into a 14-inch diameter circle, ¼ to ⅛ inch thick. Transfer the dough to the prepared baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.Spread the ricotta mixture on top leaving a 1-inch border. Arrange the tomato slices on top. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake for 15 to 16 minutes until the crust is golden. Cut into wedges and serve.
- Serves 4 to 6